Maxie

I'm relatively new to this forum and I've only had the pleasure of viewing a small amount of photos posted so far. Nevertheless, I am totally speechless each and every time I go from one persons album to the next. The quality of the shots I've seen is unlike anything I've seen before. Maybe I've lived a sheltered life, lol, I don't know. Either way, I know I've found the right place to learn from those that know what they are doing and the rest is up to me. I'm not blowing smoke either. I'm Truly impressed, not only with the photos, but answers to my questions.

Thanks Guys!

Max

fotojack

Nice of you to say that, Maxie. That's the whole purpose of this web site........to teach, to learn, to have fun, to explore, to try, to move forward.

And yes, you've lived a sheltered life! ;) lol ;) Try to get out more, and take your camera with you. :)

RockyNH_RIP

Max,

Welcome!!! You have found the same as many of us have... Enjoy your visits!!! You should have lots of photo ops in your location.

Pat in NH

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome Max and feel at home. I think we're all here to share and learn and, for me, this has been a very nice learning experience too.

Enjoy your Nikon!

Mike150

Welcome Max. Thanks for all the kind words, but that will probably change if you ever look at the few I've uploaded. Take your camera out and experiment. You'll soon find a topic you really like shooting. Mine is flowers because I'm lazy and they don't run away from you.

Last edited:

Maxie

Nice of you to say that, Maxie. That's the whole purpose of this web site........to teach, to learn, to have fun, to explore, to try, to move forward.

And yes, you've lived a sheltered life! ;) lol ;) Try to get out more, and take your camera with you. :)

This made me laugh... the majority of photo's I've taken in my life have been underwater, way more so then above. The Nikon V I had took great photos, even above water. I just didn't take that many up here, lol. Most of the photo's I've taken in my life have been in the ocean. So, it's really more about getting out of the water in order to get out to see things. I've spent a lot of time in the water.

It's hard to believe how many photo's I've taken, underwater and never really learning what I was doing. As they say, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while and that's the way I did it for many years. What a mistake.

What I learned diving was to never bring a 24 roll of film, always a 36 roll. I would always use up the entire roll of film on a dive and hope for 2, 3 or so photos that were nice. There were so many things that could mess up a photo in the water with stuff reflecting from the strobe. Even with the SB-105 offset strobe mount. I couldn't believe how much stuff in the water would reflect off the strobe.

I also noticed that 400 film was a bit grainy and I was able to get better shots with 100 or 200. Never really went below that. I haven't been diving in 4 or 5 years now and wished I had looked up this site in order to learn how to take photos underwater better back then.

I sold the Nikon V and the SB-105 and now I'm wondering if they make an underwater case for the D3100? It would be so cool to be able to take an almost unlimited amount of photos while diving without worrying about running our of film or if I loaded it properly. Which happened more then I wish to say.

The rest of the time I, we, my wife and I, were spear fishing. Bring home the bacon.

OK, now I'm going to see if they make a underwater case for the D3100 and if they don't dust off the tanks and apply what I've learned so far :)

Sorry, if I'm a little out of it... just got back from a friend returning from the service and we had a few celebration drinks.

Max