New Member, New Nikon Owner

RPulley

New member
Hi all,

Old guy, former Pentax user in the process of switching to Nikon. I literally had used Pentax gear since I started shooting film in the late 1970's.
Most recently I had been using the Pentax K-1 MkII and had a very nice assortment of lenses. I loved the K-1 in most ways, and I mainly shoot landscapes and some people for fun and occasionally for events (unpaid).

From day one when I started shooting, while Pentax was my first gear choice for various reasons, Nikon was a close second. After the latest Pentax product development vague "update", it was clear to me that there was no path forward for me from the K-1. I will likely need one more camera in my life, so I made the difficult decision to pack up my Pentax gear and trade it in on a Nikon D850 body and a couple of lenses.

I am not sold on mirrorless at this point, but at least with Nikon there is a path forward and many lenses will continue to work with the Z bodies in the future.

The D850 is quite a beast, larger then the K-1 but about the same weight.

I have the body initial setup done in ways I think will work for me, but time will tell about that as there are lots of setup choices to get the body working in the most efficient ways for me.

I will miss the Pentax IBIS and the associated star tracking feature the most, but I will not miss the slow autofocus performance.

I can't wait to get out and put some clicks on the D850.
 

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Hello and welcome! Yes ... Pentax used to be one of the biggest names back then. Nice to have you here with us. :)
 

Clovishound

Senior Member
Welcome.

I Spent a lot of time with Pentax cameras back in the day. I ended up going with Nikon after a long hiatus, and moving to the digital world. The D850 is a great choice, IMO, for a DSLR. It's big, it's heavy and it's loud, but it is a real workhorse with a ton of features, and durable build. Actually, I like big and heavy for a camera. Full disclosure: I'm on the mirrorless bandwagon myself, but that's me, and I recognize that a DSLR is the best fit for many, and if I had to go back to a DSLR, the D850 would be my choice, hands down. If you aren't into the more gear/feature demanding genres, like wildlife, sports, etc, the D850 should do a great job for you for many, many years to come, and is still no slouch for wildlife or sports when pressed into service for those.

We look forward to seeing some of your images. Enjoy that new cameras smell!!
 

RPulley

New member
Welcome.

I Spent a lot of time with Pentax cameras back in the day. I ended up going with Nikon after a long hiatus, and moving to the digital world. The D850 is a great choice, IMO, for a DSLR. It's big, it's heavy and it's loud, but it is a real workhorse with a ton of features, and durable build. Actually, I like big and heavy for a camera. Full disclosure: I'm on the mirrorless bandwagon myself, but that's me, and I recognize that a DSLR is the best fit for many, and if I had to go back to a DSLR, the D850 would be my choice, hands down. If you aren't into the more gear/feature demanding genres, like wildlife, sports, etc, the D850 should do a great job for you for many, many years to come, and is still no slouch for wildlife or sports when pressed into service for those.

We look forward to seeing some of your images. Enjoy that new cameras smell!!
Thx.

Yes, the D850 is quite the beast. About the same weight as my K-1 was, taller and wider, definitely noisier in standard mode but the Pentax was thicker, perhaps due to the IBIS mechanism.

The speed of operation, especially autofocus, is what I notice the most so far, and, while I am sure that with time I will get used to the Nikon user interface, Pentax was really good and UI and so far, the Nikon UI feels like they stuffed as many buttons on the body as they could fit and yet buried many not so well described settings in menu after menu (even with a 400 page user manual...).
 

Clovishound

Senior Member
Thx.

Yes, the D850 is quite the beast. About the same weight as my K-1 was, taller and wider, definitely noisier in standard mode but the Pentax was thicker, perhaps due to the IBIS mechanism.

The speed of operation, especially autofocus, is what I notice the most so far, and, while I am sure that with time I will get used to the Nikon user interface, Pentax was really good and UI and so far, the Nikon UI feels like they stuffed as many buttons on the body as they could fit and yet buried many not so well described settings in menu after menu (even with a 400 page user manual...).
You should be able to reprogram the function of most of the buttons to your preference, although not all functions are programmable to the buttons.
 
Top