new lens or new body? Advice plz!

Which do you think is better to purchase first in my case?

• D750

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • 70-200mm F/2.8G VRII

Votes: 11 91.7%

• Total voters

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If you want to do weddings, the 70-200 is a must. But it doesn't necessarily have to be Nikon. Sigma and Tamron have a very equivalent quality lenses to offer at a much lower price. By buying either third party lens, I would then get a D600. This is the best bang for the buck in the full frame range. I know the 750 is better, but at almost double the price. If you consider that there will always be newer bodies that will be out in around 2 years, buying one pre-owned is usually the best bargain.
So, you could get both a great FX body and a great 70-200 and you'd be in business for the same price as just a D750 with not 70-200.

Heka

As Marcel just stated there are also other options for 70-200mm lenses. I just bought a Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 w/OS for my D7000. The price was 800e and compared to the Nikon 70-200mm which costs 2100e the difference was pretty massive. I actually started a thread for discussion about the difference of these lenses (Nikon, Sigma, Tamron), and e.g. J-See pointed that with a crop size body the difference in optical sharpness is not that big between Sigma and Nikon.

Percussionman11

I actually started a thread for discussion about the difference of these lenses (Nikon, Sigma, Tamron), and e.g. J-See pointed that with a crop size body the difference in optical sharpness is not that big between Sigma and Nikon.

Do you have a link to this discussion? I'd be curious to read about it.

That said, I ended up finding a deal from a local friend who was selling an old 70-210 f/4 for cheap. It autofocuses real slow and is kinda noisy but it is super sharp for how old it is. I think I'm going to look into an old D600 like others have suggested with the remaining money I have to spend.

Anybody have a ballpark for what they'd spend on a used D600? I have the same guy offering me one for $1200 with box (like new) and didn't know if this was considered a reasonable offer. Only perk of him is that it's a reputable person who fixes cameras for a living so it will be in good working order for sure or I know I can take it back to him.

J-see

Remember that these values change whenever the lens is put upon a different cam. Then the sharpness is a combination of that lens/sensor quality. The highest any lens can score is the megapixels of the sensor attached. Everything lower is perceptual loss.

These are the numbers for the D600 + 70-200 zooms.

Untitled-2.jpg

A couple of points isn't something we'd necessarily notice in a shot. Five points we do since that's the difference between 25 and almost 50% loss. Keep in mind that not every shot we take is always about it being completely and fully sharp. It's partly sharp most of the time and differences only make the difference there.

Last edited: