Need encouragement & advice

Bill16

One thing I've learned, is that photography is not a quick easy thing to learn! So don't get discouraged if your shots don't improve as much or as fast as you want/expect them to! The most important thing to do is to have fun an enjoy the learning and taking photos! :)

Horoscope Fish

I just wanted to say again, thank you to peoples advice on here, I have been away and done some reading (Horoscope Fish) :) , have watched some videos, and done some trial and error shots, thankfully I have seen an improvement in some of my photos, not brilliant but better, well in my eyes anyway and that is a big thing which will encourage me to keep at it, once again many thanks people.
I don't mean to come across as an a-hole and I apologize if I do; I dish out advice the way I've gotten it and the first piece of advice I got before stepping up to the crit rail was that if I want to improve I need to distance my emotions from my photography.

RocketCowboy

I came across the "Highlights" feature on my D3200 the other day. Quite a useful feature I thought. In playback mode it shows you what areas are over exposed by flashing on the image in playback mode. Don't know if you have used it, but here's a link anyhoo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6GouWbmlWk

I use that quite a bit, because once you blow the highlights you can't recover what's under there. Between checking the highlights and checking the histogram, helps get a quick idea on how the exposure will look on the computer.

RocketCowboy

I haven't figured out what on earth the Histogram ::what:: is yet or what it is showing, lol!! More reading to be done.

It's still trial and error with me as well, but I try to get data as close to the right hand side of the graph as possible, without it (the graph) scaling up the right side boundary.

SteveH

@jet2004uk Another tip for learning bird photography, is to get a bird table in your garden. It sounds daft but we put one in our back garden, and after a few days you will see all sorts visiting for a feed, and you will get more time to get your shots.

John Thomson

Cheers Steve, Nothing flies or lives in my town :) I have practically moved into my sisters back garden who has a variety of birds and (has a bird table)

mikew_RIP

Cheers Steve, Nothing flies or lives in my town :) I have practically moved into my sisters back garden who has a variety of birds and (has a bird table)

Same here we get all the cats from around here but no birds,funny we never got cats when we had Great Danes in the garden :D

Horoscope Fish

I haven't figured out what on earth the Histogram ::what:: is yet or what it is showing, lol!! More reading to be done.
It's still trial and error with me as well, but I try to get data as close to the right hand side of the graph as possible, without it (the graph) scaling up the right side boundary.
Just butting in here with a suggestion because I've found knowing how to interpret histograms on my camera has really, really helped me nail exposure with more accuracy and more consistency than anything else. I don't think their importance can be over-stated in fact. Yes, I'll admit it took me a little reading and some stewing-time to reeeeally wrap my brain around them but the payoff is well worth the minor effort required. Here's one of the best introductory tutorials I've found on the subject, courtesy of Luminous Landscape: Understanding Histograms

Once you've got that information squared away firmly (and not before) take a look at A Practical Guide to Interpreting RGB Histograms. But in all seriousness, skipping straight to this second tutorial could lead to information overload.

RocketCowboy

Just butting in here with a suggestion because I've found knowing how to interpret histograms on my camera has really, really helped me nail exposure with more accuracy and more consistency than anything else. I don't think their importance can be over-stated in fact. Yes, I'll admit it took me a little reading and some stewing-time to reeeeally wrap my brain around them but the payoff is well worth the minor effort required. Here's one of the best introductory tutorials I've found on the subject, courtesy of Luminous Landscape: Understanding Histograms

Once you've got that information squared away firmly (and not before) take a look at A Practical Guide to Interpreting RGB Histograms. But in all seriousness, skipping straight to this second tutorial could lead to information overload.

Not butting in at all. Thanks HF for that reply! I've been picking up bits and pieces along the way, but hadn't found a good source to go to for everything.

Daz

Just butting in here with a suggestion because I've found knowing how to interpret histograms on my camera has really, really helped me nail exposure with more accuracy and more consistency than anything else. I don't think their importance can be over-stated in fact.

Hmm I dont think I have ever looked at the Histogram on the Camera or Lightroom :s

John Thomson

Steve, best thing since sliced bread lol as you know I am a beginner yet I found using 150-600mm very easy, the VR is great, it focuses quickly, I was unsure weather it was too early to buy such a lens being a novice but I think it actually helps and encourages you especially when you get the odd great shot, so with all the advice from the good people on here and combined with this lens, I think the future is looking bright :)

SteveH

Awesome! New kit can be very encouraging and give you a little boost. You'll have to find a local bird sanctuary and spend a few hours in a hide... Make sure you post your results!