Need DF people to answer quickly, please.

Moab Man

@hark

Here is a shot from last night just pointed up at the sky. I'm impressed with how well the camera pulls in the star light.

Nikon DF, 50mm, f/2, ISO 1600, Exposure 4 seconds

Straight out of camera.
W_DSC_5365_SOOC.jpg

A little enhancing.
W_DSC_5365.jpg

SkvLTD

My 2 cents - its a VERY niche camera and besides D4+ sensor that does render noticeably different to at least 600 from what I notice, and recycling EL14's while getting pro level life out of them indeed, the ONLY reason to get a Df is purely aesthetic. There has never been a digital like it, and from the smell of it there won't be anytime soon if ever (and lord Fuji toys don't count).

Backup/pure bang-for-buck function-wise, I'd honestly get another 750 or even a 500 to have that wildlife AND night time edge.

Nor does the Df bring that pure fun and unadulterated enjoyment that Fuji X-Pro series does - it still feels like a Nikon, and a pro level at that, so once you're familiar with anything FX it will forever feel like an FX camera.

My personal vice is appreciation of the gear's aesthetics perhaps more than the purpose of it in the first place, and thus flaunting it to help self-marketing in social/pro situations. I know majority couldn't care less about these things, nor do they own nor lust after the camera to go with their 45/2.8 AI-P.

Blade Canyon

A used Df with 22k clicks is advertised locally for $1,500. It's Craigslist, so I could probably chew a little off the asking price. The only reason I would want it is for better low light capability than my D800 and D600.

And it looks cool.

Thinking...

gbt

That sounds like an exceptional offer, it certainly provides better low light capability than my D800 did, against the D600 it would be a close call - if you're comfortable with the very average AF performance (I use MF lenses so doesn't worry me) it sounds like a good deal.

Moab Man

That sounds like an exceptional offer, it certainly provides better low light capability than my D800 did, against the D600 it would be a close call - if you're comfortable with the very average AF performance (I use MF lenses so doesn't worry me) it sounds like a good deal.

I have the D600, it is not even close or in the same ballpark as either my D750 or Df. The Df does share the same focus system as the D600, and even though it's not great, I've really had not problems with it under stadium lights.

Krs_2007

[MENTION=11881]Moab Man[/MENTION]

You planning to shoot wrestling with it?

I have been wanting one of these for a while but figured I would use it for mostly portraits. It's not a speed demon but neither is my 600 that keeps on ticking.

After you get some use with it I would like to hear your thoughts if have time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Moab Man

@Moab Man

You planning to shoot wrestling with it?

I have been wanting one of these for a while but figured I would use it for mostly portraits. It's not a speed demon but neither is my 600 that keeps on ticking.

After you get some use with it I would like to hear your thoughts if have time.

I will shoot wrestling with it. This is my go to camera when lighting is at it's worst. As to the frame rate, because I'm so familiar with wrestling, and can see what's going to happen, I can live with the slower shutter rate.

The only real complaint I have is going to auto ISO. You have to go through the menu - not quick. I need to sit down and see if I can assign a button.

Krs_2007

I will shoot wrestling with it. This is my go to camera when lighting is at it's worst. As to the frame rate, because I'm so familiar with wrestling, and can see what's going to happen, I can live with the slower shutter rate.

The only real complaint I have is going to auto ISO. You have to go through the menu - not quick. I need to sit down and see if I can assign a button.

Cool, I think it would well knowing our experience with the sport. Looking forward to hear what you find out. The lighting situations are tough for the 600, but I make it work as my next purchase will be a 300 2.8, hopefully if the wife approves.

Moab Man

Cool, I think it would well knowing our experience with the sport. Looking forward to hear what you find out. The lighting situations are tough for the 600, but I make it work as my next purchase will be a 300 2.8, hopefully if the wife approves.

If you can swing it, get a Df. Two worlds apart between the D600 and the Df.

lorenbrothers

So, Moab Man, it is several months down the road ... what is your take now on the Df?

I didn't even know this body existed until today. (shows I'm not much of a geek) I was looking into 'old' Nikkor manual prime lenses like the 50mm 1.2 that makes you wanna drool on your micro-fibre cleaning rags! Can I use the lens on my D810? Sorta ... but not really. :( And that is what I've been missing: I want to use lenses totally in manual mode out in the field!

Just like the good-old-days I love the dials that I can spin to the proper setting on the way up to my eye! By the time I'm looking through the viewfinder I just need to focus. Bingo ... just hit the metal shutter release! (What? only plastic buttons like an Instamatic???)

Unlike the D810, or any other DSLR normally: "Dang! That's not the setting I want! Which flippin' button do I have to push? Which stinkin' dial comes next?????? Poo! Wrong one! Preset? What rotten preset?
Ah, crap, Sasquatch is half a mile away by now!

I know the resolution is half (what's half of gigantic?) ... and it doesn't have video (what a bummer lol) ... and it looks like an old decrepit SLR (from the front and top anyways)

Is it cool or t'aint it? Inquiring minds wanna know!

Last edited:

Blade Canyon

I am curious about that answer, too. There's a black Df here on Craigslist, still there for two months, now down to $1,400. 22k clicks. The only reason I want a new body is to get better low light performance than my D800 or D600. This is still an Exspeed 3 sensor, although the pixels are larger and supposedly gather light better. But, the comparisons online don't look THAT much better.

Moab Man

@lorenbrothers [MENTION=15302]Blade Canyon[/MENTION]

Happy to respond and I'm going to cover a few things with what was asked and going a bit beyond.

I own a D5100, D7100 x2, D600, D750, and the Df.

The D750 and the Df are close. The Df is better, but if I had to choose one it would be the D750. D750's versatility, ease of use if you're familiar with the Nikon lineup, and speed at which adjustments can be made on the fly make it the hands down winner.

D6xx and Df - Between these two I would choose the Df because its low light and high ISO noise is that much better. The D600, like the D750, is much faster to make changes on the fly. But the low light and ISO is that good. If you are not a low light / high ISO shooter then go with the D600.

D5xxx and D7xxx - These are apples, oranges, and dollars. If you can afford the Df, buy the D750.

So who should buy the Df? Between the lower pixel count (which only matters if you print large) and the by design longer time it takes to make adjustments, this camera is for someone that wants a very specific camera. Maybe for the nostalgia build of how you make adjustments, or in my case, the ultimate low light sensor, but this camera is not a first choice as an all round camera.

lorenbrothers, between the D810, like the D750, there will not be a huge performance jump in low light / high ISO with the Df. However, it does sound like you much prefer the old mechanical versus the modern buttons. This could very much be a match for you. A point to keep in mind, the D810 and Df are worlds apart in operation and may cause frustration jumping between the two.

Blade Canyon, the Df is leaps ahead of the D600, but not worlds apart from the D800. Since you have the D800 I would tell you get the Df if you just want the best low light capability and everything else is just not that important. If that's not what you're in pursuit of then skip it.

I am happy with my Df, but only because I have other highly capable cameras for most everything I do and mostly use the other cameras. However, if the low light performance is all that matters then I grab the Df.

That was long, but I hope this all helps.

lorenbrothers

Thanks. I do indeed like the idea of "retro" if retro means being able to use a camera like I did 45 years ago. :encouragement: Started out in 1972 with a Minolta SR-T101 with the 55, 100, and 200mm Rokkors. Later moved on to the Canon AE-1 which I never really liked very much. Must have been too fancy I guess LOL. (just got rid of it a few years ago)

The key thing I like about the Df concept is the ability to use the 'vintage' glass and go full manual. :) I really don't think it is worth the $2,800 Nikon is still asking for it though. Not even close! I might pop for a used one if I see one for less than $1,200, which is more realistic since they are about $1K over-priced to start with.

SkvLTD

[MENTION=11881]Moab Man[/MENTION] definitely second Df vs 600. And purely aesthetically, it comes down to the color of the Df vs the black lens.

Moab Man

Thanks. I do indeed like the idea of "retro" if retro means being able to use a camera like I did 45 years ago.

The key thing I like about the Df concept is the ability to use the 'vintage' glass and go full manual. :) I really don't think it is worth the $2,800 Nikon is still asking for it though. Not even close! I might pop for a used one if I see one for less than $1,200, which is more realistic since they are about $1K over-priced to start with.

Keep in mind, at its heart it is still a modern digital camera, but rather than pressing buttons and turning a dial to make the change it has a dedicated dial. Still a modern camera, but the interface for most of it is old classic rather than modern.