ND Filters - too many choices

Fortkentdad

Dang - maybe I should put Variables back into the mix? Is anyone else happy they bought a Variable?

. . .

My indecision became a bit of a decision, I've maybe now past the point where I can safely order the filter and be sure to get it before we leave on June 30th. It does take about that long to get here from NYC even via the Purculator. Not quite next day - not even next week - took about 10 days last time. If I ordered today, there is a good chance I would get it - but maybe not. So, no order this time.

I do have an 8 stop ND and CPL in 58mm. I have a few lenses that I can use this with that are either 52 or 58mm. The best of the bunch would be my 105mm F2.8 Nikkor "micro" lens. At first I thought shooting a landscape with a 105 macro would be just wrong. But found there are those who like that lens for landscapes. Will have to dust it off, mount those filters and give it a go. I could also use my niffy 50mm. OR my ancient of days 28-85 kit lens from my F90. And of course I can add the 1.4 TC to change up the focal lengths.

Maybe this weekend I'll get a chance to try this out, ... hmmm but where?

Horoscope Fish

Is an ND 4 filter good for anything?
The smaller ND's definitely have their place in my opinion. An ND4 is good for two-stops which would be give you some extra flexibility when shooting at someplace like the beach, desert or in the snow during the day. Just the other day I was shooting in the desert and without an ND filter I wouldn't have been able to shoot below f/5.6, even at ISO100, without blowing out the highlights because of how bright it was. An ND4 would have been okay but the ND8 (three-stops) I had allowed me to shoot with wider apertures so I could better control my depth of field.

Fortkentdad

Is an ND 4 filter good for anything?

Not that I know much as I only have one ND 8, but I understand that these things are stackable. If you had a ND 6 and needed a 10 put the 4 and 6 on at the same time. There is always the downside of one more bit of glass and an extra bit to clean before putting it on, and if shooting very wide on an FX you may catch the rim for a dark vignette - but I hear people to stack these things.

TedG954

Well, I went out and used an ND filter for the first time. It's an ND4 (the only one I have). I like the results and I'll use it more now that I know what it does.

6-27-16 Berea Falls ND   8sm.jpg