ND Filter for Nikon D5200

super

I already bought the adapter step up 52 - 58mm

Now I just want to get ND filter so I am curious if anyone can tell me if it is ok to buy this --> 58mm UV CPL ND8 3 Piece Multi Coated Filter Kit for Nikon 55 300 | eBay

1) Is this 3 stop ?
2) I know Hoya is good quality but I do not want to spend a lot of money if cheaper filter can do the job for now as I do not know how ofter I will use this.
3) I am getting this ND filter only to learn that water effect - if this ebay one will do the job, I will buy this ?

Last edited:

nickt

ND8 should be 3 stops. That might be marginal at best for the blurred water effect depending on how the light is. It might work near dusk. If the water scene is convenient to get to, take some shots and see if 3 tics down on the shutter speed would do it.

Here is an article with some tips for moving water:
Shutter speeds for waterfall photography. by Dave FitzSimmons

If you think 3 stops is worth messing with, the ebay ones are probably ok to get a taste. Most people here would avoid them, but for $16 they might be worth playing with.

Here is a wiki article with a chart of ND filters:
Neutral density filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

super

So 3 stop is not good for daylight time ? what about 6 stop, is 6 stop good in day light ? or using ND filter is usually good in morning or dusk time only irrespective of stops ?

Is it just that 6 stop ND filter is quite expensive and since I am new to DSLR, I do not want to spend a lot of money on things that I won't be using everyday.

Last edited:

nickt

That article I linked recommends somewhere between 2 seconds and 1/8 seconds shutter speed and has example photos. This of course will vary with the speed of the water and the lighting. No one can say for sure if the 3 stop will work for you. If it is brightly lit, 3 stops most likely will NOT work for you. It could work under less bright conditions. To be sure, you need to see if 3 stops will get you in that 2 to 1/8 second range with the light that you experience. If you have a water fall in mind, take pictures at various apertures. How low can you get your shutter speed? If you can get your shutter speed below 1/15, then a 3 stop filter will get you in the range. But keep in mind, it is best to avoid shooting your lens at its highest aperture.