Mysterious icon on the LCD

davey61

VR for me is turned on and off by the switch the lens, it can only be turned on or off in the on camera menu if the lens supports it, my three don't
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

omibus

I have the same problem since I updated to the latest fw 1.01 yesterday. The symbol is always there even if I toggle the vr switch on my Sigma Lens to off.

With my kit lens (nikkor 18-55) it works.

Last edited:

nicktgibson

I had the same problem on my d5300. The little hand symbol would appear whenever I used a VR lens. I don't remember it doing it at first and my other friend with the same set up and lens as me has never seen it. Glancing through the manual I finally found where it mentions it though. On page 18 of the introduction it says that it just appears whenever Optical VR is active. I don't know why some people don't have the symbol, especially since I can clearly tell my friends camera is using VR without the symbol appearing.

-Nick

RocketCowboy

I had the same problem on my d5300. The little hand symbol would appear whenever I used a VR lens. I don't remember it doing it at first and my other friend with the same set up and lens as me has never seen it. Glancing through the manual I finally found where it mentions it though. On page 18 of the introduction it says that it just appears whenever Optical VR is active. I don't know why some people don't have the symbol, especially since I can clearly tell my friends camera is using VR without the symbol appearing.

-Nick

Could be firmware related. It would be curious to see what the differences are in firmware revisions between yours and your friend's cameras.

Lappie

It signals a vibration-reduction capable Lens is mounted on the camera. It can be turned off from the shooting menu - under optical VR. Default in on