:: My Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2 Has Arrived ::

Horoscope Fish

Have you tried the G2 with a teleconverter at all? Not my ideal configuration, but trying to find a setup that would make for easier travel while getting a little more reach from the 70-200, without also having to pack the 200-500. The G1 didn't seem to like my Kenko TC at all (neither did the Tamron 150-600 either, so maybe just a compatibility issue). Otherwise, I tend to travel with the 70-300 and give up that stop of light I could have with a TC and the 70-200.
In short, no... But I've read great things about Tamron's 1.4x TC and was considering one (it would be my first). Tamron makes a compatible 2.0x TC as well but that would mean shooting at f/5.6 "wide open" and that just doesn't appeal to me.

Oh, and just for clarity-sake, I'm referring to these $400 suckers that are only compatible with a couple Tamron lenses. I think they were originally released for the 150-600mm but the 70-200mm G2 is compatible as well. The price is what's holding me back... That's an awful lot of money for an extra 80mm.

Last edited:

RocketCowboy

In short, no... But I've read great things about Tamron's 1.4x TC and was considering one (it would be my first). Tamron makes a compatible 2.0x TC as well but that would mean shooting at f/5.6 "wide open" and that just doesn't appeal to me.

Oh, and just for clarity-sake, I'm referring to these $400 suckers that are only compatible with a couple Tamron lenses. I think they were originally released for the 150-600mm but the 70-200mm G2 is compatible as well. The price is what's holding me back... That's an awful lot of money for an extra 80mm.

Yeah, we agree there. I'm only looking at the 1.4, and working with my existing Nikon 1.4 would save me money....but the G2 saves me a whole lot more (vs buying the Nikon 70-200 just to fit my existing TC).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horoscope Fish

Sounds good to me. I need to find some more comparison shots online, especially those at around 200mm/f2.8. Thanks for your thoughts.
Five shots I took today while waiting for my sandwich to be ready at the deli. All were shot at f/2.8 @ 200mm. They were shot in raw and lightly processed in ACR before being cropped, resized, converted to JPG in Photoshop and posted here for your viewing pleasure. Tried to shoot subjects at a variety of distances but I don't exactly use this lens for Landscapes, you know?
G2 Test #1.jpg
Taken from about eight feet away.​
G2 Test #2.jpg
Shot from pretty really close to minimum-focusing distance.​
G2 Test #3.jpg
Shot from a few-hundred feet away (guesstimate).​
G2 Test #4.jpg
Shot from several feet away, probably fifteen or so.​
G2 Test #5.jpg
Shot from just a few feet away.​

RocketCowboy

I'm hoping I can get my hands on a G2 this weekend at the Out of Chicago conference. It's definitely gotten my attention! (my wife wants to know where to send the bill...)

NVSteve

Five shots I took today while waiting for my sandwich to be ready at the deli. All were shot at f/2.8 @ 200mm. They were shot in raw and lightly processed in ACR before being cropped, resized, converted to JPG in Photoshop and posted here for your viewing pleasure. Tried to shoot subjects at a variety of distances but I don't exactly use this lens for Landscapes, you know?.

Sharpness does look pretty good. Thanks for doing that. And I hear you about using this for landscapes-I only use mine at f2.8 when capturing sports, etc. Hmm, I'll have to see if there happens to be a group dedicated to this new version on Flickr.

RocketCowboy

Just...wow. My D810 got some hands on time with the 70-200 G2 with and without the 1.4tc this afternoon, as well as the 150-600 G2.

Only looking at the rear LCD, the images look great, but the af speed in that classroom-converted-to-showroom setting. I have a couple images on the D810 to look at on the computer tonight. Only disappointment is that the 70-200G2 is not eligible for the current rebates apparently.

Horoscope Fish

Just...wow. My D810 got some hands on time with the 70-200 G2 with and without the 1.4tc this afternoon, as well as the 150-600 G2.

Only looking at the rear LCD, the images look great, but the af speed in that classroom-converted-to-showroom setting. I have a couple images on the D810 to look at on the computer tonight. Only disappointment is that the 70-200G2 is not eligible for the current rebates apparently.
The AF speed amazed me as well. The other side of that coin, and I'm not sure what to call it, is that once the lens gets a focus-lock, it's just... Unwavering. Like it's grabbed hold of whatever is under the focus-point with both hands and a pipe-wrench. I find it very confidence inspiring.

Are you going to post some of your shots? I'd love to see what a D810 can do with this lens...

RocketCowboy

The AF speed amazed me as well. The other side of that coin, and I'm not sure what to call it, is that once the lens gets a focus-lock, it's just... Unwavering. Like it's grabbed hold of whatever is under the focus-point with both hands and a pipe-wrench. I find it very confidence inspiring.

Are you going to post some of your shots? I'd love to see what a D810 can do with this lens...

I'll post the images, they are just random candids in a room full of people. Been in the conference all day today and likely all day tomorrow, so probably Monday before I get them posted.

The VC mode 3 was also different than what I'm used to with VR/VC. I didn't get to really test low light VC affect, but it wasn't as noticeable in the viewfinder when I had it on.

Horoscope Fish

Just adding some shots from today's visit to the Safari Park here in Escondido.
Crowned Crane_DxO.jpg
Crowned Crane
Flamingo.jpg
Flamingo
Ibis.jpg
Ibis​

Pelican_DxO.jpg
Pelican​

Last edited:

RocketCowboy

Okay ... okay ... just take my wallet, but can you at least also add in the Tamron 1.4TC to make the kit complete. :)

These are much better than the test images I took in the conference room at the event.

RocketCowboy

Here are my test images from Out of Chicago last weekend:

Tamron-70-200-G2-Testing-1.jpg
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2 with Tamron's 1.4TC, handheld at 200mm (280mm), f/4 (wide open with TC) and 1/13sec with VC mode 3

Tamron-70-200-G2-Testing-2.jpg
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2 with Tamron's 1.4TC, handheld at 70mm (98mm), f/4 (wide open with TC) and 1/13sec with VC mode 3

Tamron-70-200-G2-Testing-3.jpg
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2 with Tamron's 1.4TC, handheld at 150mm (210mm), f/4 (wide open with TC) and 1/20sec with VC mode 3

Tamron-70-200-G2-Testing-4.jpg
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2 (no Tamron's 1.4TC), handheld at 70mm, f/2.8 and 1/25sec with VC mode 1

Tamron-70-200-G2-Testing-5.jpg
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2 (no Tamron's 1.4TC), handheld at 145mm, f/2.8 and 1/3sec with VC mode 1

I'll post the raw files on Dropbox if anyone is interested in pixel peeping.

Horoscope Fish

Here are my test images from Out of Chicago last weekend:

[snip, snip]

Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2 (no Tamron's 1.4TC), handheld at 145mm, f/2.8 and 1/3sec with VC mode 1
Thank for posting these. It's nice to see some confirmation of just how capable the VC is on this lens... I was starting to question my own sanity.