My portrait shots went up a notch today

Horoscope Fish

You might pull it back a tad but it is a wonderful portrait.
I agree. It's a matter of taste, but I too would pull back a bit... I like the matte-look, use it a lot, but that's a bit on the heavy side, IMO.

Composition, cropping, etc., though, is spot on!

Dawg Pics

Nice images. I think you are correct about her mouth. She has a very pronounced cupid's bow, very sexy on its own.
The image looks downright lavender on my iMac, which needs calibration. It tends to lighten colors some, but the purple in the image is obvious. I like the series.

Last edited:

Lawrence

These look attractively soft. So how much post processing is going into these shots?

Not much at all Ron.
Whateve oise reduction might be needed (LR) which is minimal.
In PS I am applying a gradient map, maybe a levels adjustments, minimal Burning (if required). Once all that is done I sharpen (unsharp mask) then finally crop.

wev

Contributor
The second in the series.
Can you tell I have learned a little bit (and I mean teeny weeny bit) about gradient maps?
I do this sort of thing when I learn new stuff - go a bit overboard and this may be a bit too brown/straw colored.
I will probably step back and view later and make any adjustments if I think this is the case.

View attachment 196445

You are quite right about her mouth.

This shot is also very good as a B&W

Blacktop

The second in the series.
Can you tell I have learned a little bit (and I mean teeny weeny bit) about gradient maps?
I do this sort of thing when I learn new stuff - go a bit overboard and this may be a bit too brown/straw colored.
I will probably step back and view later and make any adjustments if I think this is the case.

View attachment 196445

I love everything about this shot. From the composition to her eyes, the straw hat and most important, the feeling it conveys to me.
Bravo!

Lawrence

Have pulled back a bit on the purple.
have cloned a bunch of bracelets - actually it was the same one. For my subscription to CC I would expect that cloning one bracelet means I want them all cloned. Letter of complaint on way.

I'm loving the input guys but do let me know by PM if I am posting too many of this gorgeous lass.

100_4198 Arlen.jpg

RON_RIP

Bite your tongue. You can post a photo of her everyday. But it's time for a new outfit. I would also like to see a photo of her lit by candle light

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lawrence

Bite your tongue. You can post a photo of her everyday. But it's time for a new outfit. I would also like to see a photo of her lit by candle light

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New outfit coming up - sadly no candlelight shots
But thanks for the idea :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I can't believe how much you have grown as a photographer! Excellent job, Lawrence. :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The days of rolling in the hay ....

View attachment 196633

There's one thing I don't care for...you used a wide angle lens, and the leg closest to the camera has a tiny bit of perspective distortion going on. The leg looks like it is slightly elongated because of the lens and because the leg isn't exactly parallel to the camera. And not too fond of her foot being cut off.

Horoscope Fish

... not too fond of her foot being cut off.
I was going to point that out as well.

While I suppose there could be exceptions, I've been taught the rule: Do not to crop at joints. Cropping at a joint, even small ones like the knuckles, creates tension.

The other thing I keep in mind regarding joints is they need to be bent to look their best. There are probably exceptions but the rule I've been taught is: If it's a joint, bend it. And that means right down to the fingers. It doesn't have to be much of a bend, just enough to break the line, but it needs to be there.

Last edited: