my photos are not as crisp and clear as they should be. plz help.

egosbar

how are you guys seeing the exif data , not showing when i hover on these images , id be interested to see the exif data on all three

i sometimes use a download called exiftool it gives so much info on the image and is really helpful when diagnosing why a shot didnt work as well as planned

you only have to drag an image onto the icon and wow does it give out some info

Last edited:

aroy

I see a few problems with the images.
. The first one is either taken a very slow speed (so that the wind moved the grass) or there was a camera shake.
. The eagle heads are over exposed. Use centre weighed or spot metering in such cases.

Please try the following settings and take a number of shots.
. Use aperture priority
. Switch auto ISO off, set ISO to 100.
. Switch all extras off - distortion, noise etc.
. Shoot RAW.
. Use Center weighed metering.
. Use continuous Auto Focusing.
. Use single focus point.

Now set the aperture to F8, and choose the centre focusing point only. Half press the shutter button to get the focus, and check what exposure speed you are getting. If it is less than 1/250, increase the ISO. Shoot. Then decrease the aperture to say F5.6 and shoot. Once you get consistently sharp images, you can experiment with slower speeds or wider apertures.

With these settings unless the ISO is > 1600, you should get sharp and clear images. The best IQ is at ISO 100 and then the noise starts. With bright foreground and proper exposures ISO 400 and at times ISO 800 can give reasonably low noise shots (there is noise, but it is confined to shadows).

In case you find that your hand shakes and shots are getting blurred, increase the exposure speed, or use a flash if the objects are within its range. Check for proper camera holding technique on the net, that will decrease camera shake a lot. Secondly, while using a tripod extend it only as much as required, and that too with thicker legs first and thinner legs last. Ensure that the tripod is resting on firm ground and does not shake when you touch it.

JohnFrench

I admire the tenacity of the members here trying to help the OP fellow out, even though he has never posted again since that first day.

STM

The softness in the images looks to me to be more like focusing error than anything else. I am hardly an expert on autofocus since I do not own any AF lenses but often the camera will focus on things other than those that you want it to focus on. The problem with essentially all DSLR focusing screens is they are pretty poor at discerning critical focus. It may look pretty sharp in the viewfinder but not when you look at the final image on the computer.

aroy

I admire the tenacity of the members here trying to help the OP fellow out, even though he has never posted again since that first day.
Though at times it is frustrating, finding solutions; even if the poster never responds; is an intellectual exercise I do not mind. Ultimately I gain quite a lot from such discussions as it not only clarifies a lot of issues, but lets me to exercise my mind in finding a solution. This reminds me of similar situations when I was a system analyst. The client will give a problem and then keep mum. It was upto the team to figure out what the problem actually was and come up with a solution.

egosbar

agree , you dont have to be the op too learn from what everyone is trying to teach him , valid discussion whether he posted back or not

JohnFrench

agree , you dont have to be the op too learn from what everyone is trying to teach him , valid discussion whether he posted back or not

Oh I agree with that for sure. I just felt kinda sorry for the OP never coming back even though answers to his issue were still forthcoming.

Hiway

It's true that the replies help everyone. I learn something from most of the threads I read here. Today I learned that the sharpness of a lens I was questioning was because I forgot to turn off VR when tripod mounted again. Even did the front back focus test I learned here.

Keep posting. The OP may just be busy trying out all the advice.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I read the thread and I have to say I always learn things from reading what others have to say about the exposure and focusing issues....always something to learn so don't think you guys wasted your time!

Bigfatmole

My mate had a D5200 ... He had the same issue . We tried everything, my lens on his body, his lens on my body .. The overall conclusion was the camera was defective . We had read lots about mirror bounce being the issue . It went back to nikon and it was found to be defective , the focus system was adjusted and calibrated .. Problem solved