My macro

Scott Murray

This is hand held with my configuration and 1.4 TC.

That is an uncropped Lightning charger.
D60_2178.jpg

Vixen

I use an SB300 flash and have a freezer bag folded over the flash and held in place with an elastic band acting as my diffuser. Seems to work very well. I would tho, like to have a HSS flash to get higher shutter speeds, but I might be just dreaming that this will help with camera shake. I seem to be getting better with more practice anyway :D

Scott Murray

I use an SB300 flash and have a freezer bag folded over the flash and held in place with an elastic band acting as my diffuser. Seems to work very well. I would tho, like to have a HSS flash to get higher shutter speeds, but I might be just dreaming that this will help with camera shake. I seem to be getting better with more practice anyway :D

Honestly I could use my SB910 and HSS but I am happy with 1/160 or 1/320 sec the slower I go the more background I can see and it doesn't get blackened out.

Scott Murray

UPDATE:

After doing more research and wanting to eliminate hotspots I have envisioned another macro set up or I should say add on to my current one. I will continue using the SB-910 and not onboard flash (nothing wrong with onboard I have gotten some great shots). The reason going with the SB-910 is so that I can use my larger diffuser for nice even light, but I have also another add on that I will put on the end of the lens (similar to my foam idea) I am hoping that this will deflect more light under the subject and remove hotspots, if this does not work then I may go to 2 x small speed lights placed at 45deg and 135deg respectfully. I am also looking at getting a small headlamp LED for night time macros where you need extra light to get accurate focus. I will keep you all up to date with photos and the results.

paul14086

Scott. I have been thinking about buying the dcr250 but was unsure. If it's good enough for yourself it's good enough for me. You do exceptional work

6iron

Scott, your pictures look great. I have the exact same lens, and am using it on a d5300. So, your camera is better but mine should still take great shots. The Raynox DCR-250 you are using is new to me - I don't know anything about it. Can you show what a comparison shot looks like with and without the Raynox? Do you recommend it for most macro shooting? I see I can buy one for about $75. Not a terrible amount of money, but wondering what the difference is between using it and just using the lens.

Scott Murray

Scott, your pictures look great. I have the exact same lens, and am using it on a d5300. So, your camera is better but mine should still take great shots. The Raynox DCR-250 you are using is new to me - I don't know anything about it. Can you show what a comparison shot looks like with and without the Raynox? Do you recommend it for most macro shooting? I see I can buy one for about $75. Not a terrible amount of money, but wondering what the difference is between using it and just using the lens.
Also check out my new Blog on my website - Macro Photography how to | Scott H Murray Photography

Last edited:

Scott Murray

This is just the 90mm

SHM_2905.jpg

And this is with the Raynox DCR-250

SHM_2904.jpg

I also always use my onboard flash and diffuser. (Disregard the TC as I do not use that anymore.)
SHM_9352.jpg

Last edited:

6iron

Very interesting. I appreciate the time to put this up for review. I'm going to go ahead and buy the raynox, looks like it's $75 well spent.

On your diffuser, and I apologize if you already described this elsewhere - you have some white foam packing material, and you bonded that to some semi-rigid plastic sheet material, and then cut it so that it would be held in place between the Raynox and the Tamron? I love the cost efficient but highly effective nature of your setup. Did you ever use a macro ring flash? I assume that you find this to be a better solution, not just based on cost. I've been shy on the ring flashes in case they cast too harsh a light.

Last edited:

Scott Murray

Very interesting. I appreciate the time to put this up for review. I'm going to go ahead and buy the raynox, looks like it's $75 well spent.

On your diffuser, and I apologize if you already described this elsewhere - you have some white foam packing material, and you bonded that to some semi-rigid plastic sheet material, and then cut it so that it would be held in place between the Raynox and the Tamron?
The glass section of the Raynox unscrews into two pieces I made the clear plastic so it would fit and be held onto the Raynox by the lens itself. It detaches in one piece from the 90mm just by depressing the two spring loaded clips. A better way is to mount it on the 90mm so it can be used even when you are not using the Raynox as a diffuser is always handy. It is simple 1cm to 1.5cm white foam that you get in some lenses for packing or other things. You can cut to your own shape but I found that the tear drop shape made for better catch lights.

Scott Murray

@6iron the Raynox takes some practice to get used to the very shallow DOF. I would advise taking photos with just the 90mm at min focus distance using your body to focus (moving in/out). Doing this will allow you to concentrate through the view finder. Just be aware that you will be pretty close to the subject and can spook them easily. Practice on something the will not run/scurry or fly off.