My first few shots from the P610

mikew_RIP

Still enjoying using it,i dont like the motorized zoom though but they nearly all seam to have them,yesterday i had trouble focusing on small subjects but last night looking at the settings i think i had a wide field focus point set in,now changed it to spot focus i think.:D

Blacktop

Still enjoying using it,i dont like the motorized zoom though but they nearly all seam to have them,yesterday i had trouble focusing on small subjects but last night looking at the settings i think i had a wide field focus point set in,now changed it to spot focus i think.:D
Can we see something at ISO 1600 please?

Blacktop

We all know it will be crap:D its pi$$ing with rain all day today and tomorrow but will do it soon just for you.

Is it raining inside as well?:p The reason I'm asking, is that if you can yield pretty good results at ISO 1600, this may make a fine BIF camera. No?

mikew_RIP

Is it raining inside as well?:p The reason I'm asking, is that if you can yield pretty good results at ISO 1600, this may make a fine BIF camera. No?

From what i can tell with my BIF subjects no mirrorless camera would be a lot of good,i dont get any warning though where i go they just appear over some trees, then in seconds are gone over some others,as you know my Tamron is more than likley going back.After nearly a year with it i dont find 150-600 the best for BIF pictures,most but i will admit not all the time its back to 450mm or less to stand any chance of picking the flying bird up and relocating it if i lose focus lock.
I am fairly sure i will forgo the extra length and get a 300 plus 1.4 this is why i bought the P610 i can take it on the other shoulder and have immediate access to wide angle through to telephoto when 300mm or 420mm is totally wrong.its like having a zoom lens without having to change lenses.
Nikon bill it as a cover all camera but its far from that, in my mind it is just another lens with its own limited use.

Elliot87

From what i can tell with my BIF subjects no mirrorless camera would be a lot of good,i dont get any warning though where i go they just appear over some trees, then in seconds are gone over some others,as you know my Tamron is more than likley going back.After nearly a year with it i dont find 150-600 the best for BIF pictures,most but i will admit not all the time its back to 450mm or less to stand any chance of picking the flying bird up and relocating it if i lose focus lock.
I am fairly sure i will forgo the extra length and get a 300 plus 1.4 this is why i bought the P610 i can take it on the other shoulder and have immediate access to wide angle through to telephoto when 300mm or 420mm is totally wrong.its like having a zoom lens without having to change lenses.
Nikon bill it as a cover all camera but its far from that, in my mind it is just another lens with its own limited use.

I'm so glad I found this forum as I don't know where I'd be trying to choose lenses without the collective experience on here. I too have started thinking about a bridge as another lens with its own set of uses. I've completely gone of the idea of buying something like an 18-300mm because for the same or less money I can get a far better zoom range than that.
Keep on posting and sharing your thoughts Mike because right now you are my guinea pig when it comes to testing these bridge cameras out. Will also be keen to hear how you get on with the 300mm compared to the Tamron, when you make the switch.

mikew_RIP

Ime fairly sure that the bridge camera will suit me within its limited usefulness,the main thing to remember is they are designed for users that will print the whole sensor image not crop,not done any exact tests but my guess is i could probably throw away 25% of the image size and still retain a decent result,while with the D7100 i could throw away 75% with a low enough ISO :D that may be over optimistic but you get what ime saying.

mikew_RIP

Its stopped raining for a few moments so the ISO results,SOOC just resized

DSCN0330.jpg

DSCN0331.jpg

DSCN0332.jpg

DSCN0333.jpg

DSCN0334.jpg

DSCN0335.jpg

DSCN0336.jpg

wornish

Its stopped raining for a few moments so the ISO results,SOOC just resized

View attachment 162920

View attachment 162921

Wow, even at ISO 6400 these are very useable. It seems the camera is doing some pretty smart noise reduction. The very detailed image does perhaps hide some of the noise.

So reading your earlier posts you seem to say the 600mm is not for you yet you are getting some amazing bird and BIF shots on your 7100.
I don't do much bird shooting and was thinking about going for the 150 - 600 but I now think I will stay with my 80-400 and the 1.4X.
I am tempted to go for a DX body though to compliment my FX.

mikew_RIP

Wow, even at ISO 6400 these are very useable. It seems the camera is doing some pretty smart noise reduction. The very detailed image does perhaps hide some of the noise.

So reading your earlier posts you seem to say the 600mm is not for you yet you are getting some amazing bird and BIF shots on your 7100.
I don't do much bird shooting and was thinking about going for the 150 - 600 but I now think I will stay with my 80-400 and the 1.4X.
I am tempted to go for a DX body though to compliment my FX.

Not sure what ime saying,i love 600mm but if you consider how many shots i take i most likley suffer focus freeze more often than most would,this means it becomes an irritation more often,i dont think Tamron has a fix for it so its got to go.The sigma is still fairly new in nikon so who knows what that may throw up in a few months and i dont want to go down a road with more problems,let some one else find out first and i can revisit the 600mm idea in a years time.
There are two possible alternatives 300+1.4 or the 80-400,the 80-400 would be the cheapest as i would get the 300PF if i go that way,i think adding DX to your lens would be a good idea.

10 Gauge

@mikew What's this focus freeze you speak of on the Tamron? Something I need to worry about?

BTW, that little camera really looks good even up in the higher ISO range. I'd have no problem posting photo's up to 800 or maybe even 1600 ISO from that little bugger.

mikew_RIP

@mikew What's this focus freeze you speak of on the Tamron? Something I need to worry about?

BTW, that little camera really looks good even up in the higher ISO range. I'd have no problem posting photo's up to 800 or maybe even 1600 ISO from that little bugger.

The focus freeze is you press the shutter button and nothing happens,it doesn't hunt for focus or any thing,the only way to clear it is to switch the camera off and back on or release the lens give it a part turn then refit it.Most owners get it so infrequently they dont consider it a problem,with me being retired and going out every day nearly i felt i was getting it too often.

10 Gauge

Thank you for the input! I haven't had this happen yet, but I will keep this info in mind on how to clear it if/when it does happen.

Blacktop

Thanks Mike for taking the time to type out all this info. It is much appreciated.

10 Gauge

Your shots get better and better as you are getting more familiar with the camera. I must say it's giving VERY impressive results and concur with @Roy1961 that it's making me awfully tempted!