My D3400 looks dark and takes dark pictures with 300mm lens

Clovishound

Try setting your aperture to it maximum aperture. Turn off the camera and take the lens off. Look through the lens and see if the aperture is small, or if it is wide open. If it is small, then the aperture mechanism isn't working properly. It could either be an internal fault in the lens, or possibly a dirty/faulty connector on the lens. You could try carefully cleaning the connection pins on the lens and see if that remedies the situation.

BF Hammer

Missing some information here. Vintage lenses? Adapting non-Nikon F lens maybe? Canon lenses hold the aperture closed unmounted while Nikon holds it open.

So before my mind goes wild imagining the possibilities, please share the type and model of that problem 300mm lens.

ignacioleon7

It is
Nikon DX AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm 1: 4.5-6.3GED
I also notice that if I use the live view it will take the pictures but if I try to use the eye view it doesn't take pictures.

BF Hammer

Mirror stuck? Maybe even mirror-up mode (MUP) turned on by accident? That is a mode that requires you to push the shutter button once to raise the mirror, then push a 2nd time to take the photo. It is intended to eliminate shake from the mirror slapping up on a tripod long exposure.

ignacioleon7

Mirror stuck? Maybe even mirror-up mode (MUP) turned on by accident? That is a mode that requires you to push the shutter button once to raise the mirror, then push a 2nd time to take the photo. It is intended to eliminate shake from the mirror slapping up on a tripod long exposure.
I will look to see if that is on