Moab Man's Magnified Macro

Moab Man

Found a whole bunch of these non-black Black Widows.

DSC_6027_Web.jpg

Moab Man

Spot on,looks like you can make the D600 work well on macro

Having done quite a bit on the D7100 and the D600 I have found that the images look better from the D600.

The D7100 and D600 each have their strengths and the Raynox is a better fit on my D600.

Pretzel

I'm dying on the f51 bit, LOL. AMAZING shots! I have one of these Raynox add-ons on my short list (meaning, will be ordered soon), but no Macro to pair it with. I'll just start dabbling on the semi-close-up shots, I guess. ;) Thinking it will work nicely on my 70-300 at full zoom.

Moab Man

I'm dying on the f51 bit, LOL. AMAZING shots! I have one of these Raynox add-ons on my short list (meaning, will be ordered soon), but no Macro to pair it with. I'll just start dabbling on the semi-close-up shots, I guess. ;) Thinking it will work nicely on my 70-300 at full zoom.

For the sake of curiosity I will try out my Raynox on my 70-300.

The aperture I shoot at blows my mind. I didn't even know my macro aperture went to 64 until buying the Raynox.

Pretzel

Curious, did ya get a chance to try that thing on the 70-300? Pulling the trigger on one this week, but would be cool to see what it will do for my "not so magnified macro". :D

Moab Man

@Pretzel

Curious, did ya get a chance to try that thing on the 70-300? Pulling the trigger on one this week, but would be cool to see what it will do for my "not so magnified macro". :D

I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Raynox did to allow my 70-300mm to be used as a macro lens. The short of it... it works! So prepare yourself as I unleash the fury of photos.

All images, except for the last, are jpeg out of camera - just resizing. Lens was less than a hands length away except where noted.
D600
Raynox DCR-250
70-300mm
Tripod mounted with VR off

This first shot was right up close and personal. The flower is about a quarter to half dollar in size. Not really a great photo. Too close in this combination of lens w/Raynox.
1_DSC_6485.jpg

Backed out just a bit and adjusted the focus manually. This really showed me some promise and surprised me.
2_DSC_6487.jpg

Backing the lens (zoom) up and dialing in the focus manually it did a nice job.
3_DSC_6488.jpg

Backing the zoom out to 70mm.
4_DSC_6489.jpg

Raynox is removed. Camera is moved back roughly five feet to its minimum focusing distance. Lens was at 230mm to try and give the best image as lenses can be soft at the two extremes.
5_DSC_6490.jpg

This last image is processed as I would a shot using my macro lens with the Raynox.
8_DSC_6487.jpg

The Raynox is a pretty inexpensive way to make a lens perform like a macro. Using the 70-300mm worked well, but was heavy and could be difficult to manage when working with such a small focal area when compared to my much lighter dedicated macro 90mm. However, like all things, we make do, learn and improve.

In conclusion, without hesitation I can recommend the Raynox on the 70-300mm and I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Moab Man

FANTASTIC! Makes me happy about clickin' that "DO IT" button. :) Thanks!

You'll want a clean sensor. To increase the depth of field you really need to crank up that aperture. I didn't even realize my Tamron 90mm went as high as 64 until I got the Raynox. Never would I have thought to venture that high in aperture. My 70-300 went to 46.

Shooting with such a high aperture it is one of those times where full bright sun is your friend. I often shoot with my flash mounted on a foot sitting right next to me and radio triggers tripping the flash if I don't have full sun.

Have fun, but know that there is a frustration and learning curve with the Raynox. After a day or so it will start to really come together for you.

Looking forward to seeing some photos from you.