Mikew 2015 52

mikew_RIP

This is one of those times when they think you cant see them.

dsc_2519.jpg

mikew_RIP

Great shot Mike. do you remember where the focus point was on this shot? It is very sharp.

Trust you to ask about this one :D

Just checked in NX and its on its shoulder,i was in a very windy position and struggling to keep the focus point on its eye so i did some on its shoulder,i have done selective sharpening on the whole bird,then a second selective on the eye and beak area.

Vixen

If you like the background more out of focus why not use a wider aperture? I shoot most of my bird shots with aperture fully open. Or am I not understanding your meaning?

I do feel a blurred background puts the "focus" (so to speak) on the bird :D

mikew_RIP

If you like the background more out of focus why not use a wider aperture? I shoot most of my bird shots with aperture fully open. Or am I not understanding your meaning?

I do feel a blurred background puts the "focus" (so to speak) on the bird :D

It's great detail is it not? I love to see each individual feather. Don't always achieve that but Mike did so very well on this heron shot.

Thanks Vixen,i choose the aperture for various reasons,to give me the shutter speed i need/want,to try to get the best out of the lens, isolate the subject or more DOF,the trouble is these choices often work against each other:D

mikew_RIP

This isnt your normal snow scene,the thing is we may get a couple of feet or no more at all this year, so posting this to cover my commitment but will get better if i can.

DSC_0579.jpg

Camera
NIKON 1 V2

Focal Length
13.1mm

Aperture
f/4

Exposure
1/5s

ISO

Last edited:

traceyjj

Looks like you had more than we did... although I had to go to Manchester for workon Thursday, and the over the penine train journey had so much snow!