Meet my new Baby

iCapture

The other day I was playing around with a EM5 Mii in the camera store. Loved the quick AF, big bright vf and the fit and finish BUT I prefer the thick grip of the EM1 and the slightly bigger size.

I have 2 weeks to decide which one to purchase. Why should I get the EM5 Mii over the EM1?
Cost is not a problem since there is a local sale of the EM1 that only makes it $100 more then the EM5 Mii
What are the differences. EM1 vs EM5 Mii?

Rick M

The other day I was playing around with a EM5 Mii in the camera store. Loved the quick AF, big bright vf and the fit and finish BUT I prefer the thick grip of the EM1 and the slightly bigger size.

I have 2 weeks to decide which one to purchase. Why should I get the EM5 Mii over the EM1?
Cost is not a problem since there is a local sale of the EM1 that only makes it $100 more then the EM5 Mii
What are the differences. EM1 vs EM5 Mii?

The EM1 has a larger grip and better C-AF. I changed to the EM5 MII for the high res mode, 64 MP raw is great for still landscapes. I also like the smaller package for now. The EM-1 will be upgraded next year and probably with a new sensor. That's why I switched now, I plan to pick up the next EM1 for my pro work and the EM5 MII will be a great small kit.

Rick M

5 Exposure HDR's

P7310022_3_4_5_6_tonemapped-2.jpg

St Bonny Church-2.jpg

wornish

A couple more,

Nice Shots.

I have been seriously thinking about doing the same thing. The E-M5 Mk2 looks amazing.
I think you can get an adapter to use Nikor F-Mount glass as well so wouldn't need to get too many new lenses up front.
As said above though I too would miss Nikonites.

Rick M

Nice Shots.

I have been seriously thinking about doing the same thing. The E-M5 Mk2 looks amazing.
I think you can get an adapter to use Nikor F-Mount glass as well so wouldn't need to get too many new lenses up front.

You don't have to leave! The only thing us mis-fits can't do is post in the Challenges :)

Rick M

Nice Shots.

In all seriousness, it is a huge change and you should really think hard on it. Size and glass is a huge advantage, but you are working with a smaller sensor with less dynamic range and low light capability. You need to get the most out of the gear, not as forgiving as an 24 mp Fx or Dx Nikon sensor.

wornish

In all seriousness, it is a huge change and you should really think hard on it. Size and glass is a huge advantage, but you are working with a smaller sensor with less dynamic range and low light capability. You need to get the most out of the gear, not as forgiving as an 24 mp Fx or Dx Nikon sensor.

I kind of realise the limitations and thats what is holding me back. I have a D810 now so I am completely spoilt, but I do a lot of macro and product type shots and the HiRes capability of the E-M5 Mk2 beats the D810 for detail in the reviews I have read and seen.
Its the landscape and high dynamic range that would be the challenge.

The weight factor when travelling is a real major benefit though. A complete M4/3 system works out at less than half the weight for the same kit. and even bigger weight savings when you go into long telephoto lens comparisons.

I also thought about going the Sony a6000 route but the more I read about it the more I am moving away from it. It certainly has a huge fan boy following but there is no where near the choice of lenses that the M4/3 system offers.
Will be interesting to see what the E-M1 mk2 offers or the Sony A7000 if and when they come out. But probably won't wait because there will always be the next model and it never ends.

iCapture

The EM-1 will be upgraded next year and probably with a new sensor. That's why I switched now, I plan to pick up the next EM1 for my pro work and the EM5 MII will be a great small kit.

Thanks, sounds like a great plan. I have decided to go with the 5MII and pick up the 12-40mm. Can't wait to play with the EM1 MII. I will start saving for it this fall.

Rick M

Thanks, sounds like a great plan. I have decided to go with the 5MII and pick up the 12-40mm. Can't wait to play with the EM1 MII. I will start saving for it this fall.

The pro 12-40 is a great lens and I really like the extra 10mm over larger system pro glass. , rumors for some f1 pro primes someday.

NVSteve

I also thought about going the Sony a6000 route but the more I read about it the more I am moving away from it. It certainly has a huge fan boy following but there is no where near the choice of lenses that the M4/3 system offers.
Will be interesting to see what the E-M1 mk2 offers or the Sony A7000 if and when they come out. But probably won't wait because there will always be the next model and it never ends.

I also gave the a6000 a hard look. I had the nex-5n when it came out & loved the body, hated the menu, kit lens & hated the small lens selection. The a6000 menu is actually very easy to understand, the video is great, the body feels good in the hand, etc. I was so anal in my a6000 research that I put every possible lens for the e mount into a spreadsheet, along with specs, prices, DXO scores & reviews from others. To sum up, I feel the lenses available are pretty poor. The zooms have crazy softness & only less than a handful of primes seem to be rated well-some of which cover the same focal length (multiple brands). Since it would be a vacation and ski camera for me, I can't live with primes. One can also put lenses from other mounts on it, minus any AF for the majority of them, but it defeats the goal of having a small camera.

I also had the e-m5 (mark I) for about 6 months prior to throwing in the towel and moving to the D600. Zuiko glass is simply great. I can say that I had to buy the grip for the e-m5 because I couldn't hold it otherwise, at least comfortably. I have the E-m1 at the top of my list at the moment, but I may just wait to snag one when the next updated model is released. No rush on my end. And I'll echo what Rick mentioned about the DR. Having owned 3 Olympus DSLR/mirrorless bodies, what killed me was the lack of DR. The newest mirrorless models use much improved sensors that do a fairly good job, but I still haven't been able to push the adjustments very much without getting a ton of noise, freaky looking mottled textures or blown highlights. Having shot purely in RAW for the past 13 years, I have always wanted something that would let me adjust to my heart's content. That only happened with the D600. But, the e-m1 (and the e-m5 II I would imagine) seems to be the best option in my case, mostly because of the entire system, not just the bodies. Best thing you can do is rent one and try it out one weekend. Or, get Rick to let you borrow one of his. :D

Rick M

Struggling between shooting bracketed series for HDR or just using the High res mode and tonemapping. The first is a 3 exposure HDR and the second is a single 100MB image tonemapped.

P8080039_40_43_tonemapped-2.jpg

P8080046_tonemapped-2.jpg

gav329

Super pics Rick looks like you're enjoying the Olympus! I bought a D200 four years ago after going to shop to buy a D3200 as I'm a beginner and the guy sold me a D200 telling me it was easy to learn blah blah. I've taken about 200 pics and happy with a few of them. I've never been more disappointed in my life and it's not the camera I'm complaining about but I've had no time to learn it and it was always too much for me to tackle whereas the D3200 I could have learnt bit by bit.

Anyway this has been a bad memory with Nikon which was always my dream so I am thinking of going small as I don't want a huge D200 to carry I hate dragging it around. Love the look of the Olympus omd10! Sad it says "made in China" that could mean crap build.

Do you think I could learn from scratch on the omd 10?

Thanks and have fun with your new toys!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rick M

Probably looking for different things but i prefer the look of the second one,its brighter and cleaner.

I was thinking the same, plus I can print much larger. I'm trying not to duplicate each scene for card space (high res files are huge). Bracketing will be my go to for water or any motion, high res for stills only (causes artifacts in water). Thanks for your input!

Rick M

Super pics Rick looks like you're enjoying the Olympus! I bought a D200 four years ago after going to shop to buy a D3200 as I'm a beginner and the guy sold me a D200 telling me it was easy to learn blah blah. I've taken about 200 pics and happy with a few of them. I've never been more disappointed in my life and it's not the camera I'm complaining about but I've had no time to learn it and it was always too much for me to tackle whereas the D3200 I could have learnt bit by bit.

Anyway this has been a bad memory with Nikon which was always my dream so I am thinking of going small as I don't want a huge D200 to carry I hate dragging it around. Love the look of the Olympus omd10! Sad it says "made in China" that could mean crap build.

Do you think I could learn from scratch on the omd 10?

Thanks and have fun with your new toys!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some think Oly menus are complex, but there is a ton of customization. The super control panel makes settings changes easy (not sure if it's on the omd 10). BTW they are coming out with a new omd10 soon. I won't say learning Oly is any easier. I put it in aperture mode and start shooting/learning. There is no easy way to learn setting approach to various shooting situations.

I'd say the EM1 and EM5 mk II are actually more complex than Nikons, 8 fn button options and various "my modes" can get confusing! They are settings geek's wet dream!