MBD 12: Nikon vs Mieke battery grip

BackdoorArts

For those who may be looking for a 3rd party grip, after reading this review of the Zeikos grip I decided it was worth giving it a shot. I've been using it for a couple weeks with no issues whatsover, with both original Nikon batteries and the 3rd Party battery that B&H threw in (Pearstone?) when I got the D800. My only complaint is that it feels less solid than the camera (it should, it's all plastic) but it does the job, and saves a few ounces on carrying around weight in the bag. LOL

gqtuazon

Gear Head
For those who may be looking for a 3rd party grip, after reading this review of the Zeikos grip I decided it was worth giving it a shot. I've been using it for a couple weeks with no issues whatsover, with both original Nikon batteries and the 3rd Party battery that B&H threw in (Pearstone?) when I got the D800. My only complaint is that it feels less solid than the camera (it should, it's all plastic) but it does the job, and saves a few ounces on carrying around weight in the bag. LOL

Jake congrats on your purchase. Like what I have previously mentioned, the quality control is just not consistent and it is a hit or miss. I'm glad that your 3rd party grip works well. I have the Zeikos grip for my D80 too and I don't have any problem with it although I rarely use that camera anymore.

My post is not to discourage other people from buying 3rd party brand but to let other photographers on what I personally experienced, which is unfortunately not favorable. This is just the reality when you go the other route. We all want to experience what you experience but my luck isn't that good at all with these equipment. Maybe I just demand much more or better. I am against the higher price that Nikon sells but obviously, the quality is much better which explains why.

BackdoorArts

I don't know that I would have even considered it had it not been reviewed by someone I consider a "trusted source". There are many 3rd party brands and not all are created equal. Like you, I'm bothered by the fact that Nikon seems to not only feel the need to not only create a new set of accessories for every camera model they put out (you'd think the D7100 could have used the same grip as the D7100 or even D600), but also need to charge an excessive amount for them. They may be more consistent in terms of QC, but I don't know that it justifies the price differential.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I don't know that I would have even considered it had it not been reviewed by someone I consider a "trusted source". There are many 3rd party brands and not all are created equal. Like you, I'm bothered by the fact that Nikon seems to not only feel the need to not only create a new set of accessories for every camera model they put out (you'd think the D7100 could have used the same grip as the D7100 or even D600), but also need to charge an excessive amount for them. They may be more consistent in terms of QC, but I don't know that it justifies the price differential.

Yes, this is starting to bother me now with regards to compatibility unlike when the MB D10 was released for both D300 and D700.

Photo Joe

I have the Meike grip for both my D5000 and D7000. While build is cheap plastic and not the Nikon magnesium alloy, I have yet to have any problems with the grip. In regards to the OP, I found the battery grip works fine on my D7000 when I have a Nikon battery in the grip and a third-party battery in the camera. So far, so good, I suppose.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I have the Meike grip for both my D5000 and D7000. While build is cheap plastic and not the Nikon magnesium alloy, I have yet to have any problems with the grip. In regards to the OP, I found the battery grip works fine on my D7000 when I have a Nikon battery in the grip and a third-party battery in the camera. So far, so good, I suppose.

Hi Joe. I'm glad that your works well. As I already explained, mine didn't work like I would like it to be. I found out that the root cause was the 3rd party grip since the Nikon brand works well when using two batteries.

The problem is that the quality is very inconsistant. Some are lucky to have a good working unit and some, not so much.