Macro diffuser - what shape?

Elliot87

Nice! I've made my own version but still don't have the right materials so it isn't ideal. I bought the cheapest UV filter I could find and removed the glass element to help me attach it but it's still a bit fiddly.

Ironwood

I just checked out the "post your macro" thread. The crop of the spider showing the reflection of the new diffuser, I think you have nailed it with the shape :cool:.

Scott Murray

Nice! I've made my own version but still don't have the right materials so it isn't ideal. I bought the cheapest UV filter I could find and removed the glass element to help me attach it but it's still a bit fiddly.

I am going to be using filter adapters if I can find them. I currently have a few here that I can use and fine tune my design.

I just checked out the "post your macro" thread. The crop of the spider showing the reflection of the new diffuser, I think you have nailed it with the shape :cool:.
Yes I think this shape is perfect for a diffuser of this type.

Scott Murray

Great shots Scott.
Looking at the exif data on the last lot of pictures in this and your other thread it seems that f/16 is the perfect aperture for better DoF or is that once again just your skill?

I actually vary my aperture a bit but find f/16 is a nice number to start on.

Elliot87

What type of ring is that? Looks like a good way of attaching. I decided my prototype diffuser blocks too much light as the polystyrene material is a bit too thick and not easy to cut into a neat shape.

Pretzel

Actually bought some of the foam last night, so gonna toy around with it and see what I can come up with this weekend. I figure I've got 3 sheets of it, so I should be able to come up with something. You've inspired us! Or me...

Well, ​someone...

Scott Murray

Actually bought some of the foam last night, so gonna toy around with it and see what I can come up with this weekend. I figure I've got 3 sheets of it, so I should be able to come up with something. You've inspired us! Or me...

Well, ​someone...
I am sure you will come up with something ;) its not hard.

Ironwood

I cut a new diffuser to fit my AF55 D macro lens, the first shot is one I took yesterday with my old diffuser cobbled onto the lens, the second one is with the new diffuser made to a similar shape to Scotts new design.
I made mine a friction fit onto the end of the lens, it falls off easily if it hits a branch or twig so I might have to look at a better way to hold it in place.
I like the reflection of the new one more than the old shape.

DSC_9817.jpg

DSC_9856.jpg