Macro at Cypress Gardens

Clovishound

Well, the Pup and I snuck over to Cypress this morning while the weather was nice. About a half hour into shooting at the wildflower field where we have been getting most of our insect pictures, we saw the horticulturist show up on a zero turn. They were ready to mow the field and sow some winter cover. They plan on reseeding it in the spring with more flowers, as a lot of non flowering plants have taken over in the field. Bad news is that this field will not be any good for shooting insects until next spring.

I did manage to save a Green Lynx spider and her egg sack from the mower. I told the horticulturist about it, and she let me go pick the stalk with her and her eggs and move them to the vegetation on the side. Hopefully they will make it. Lynx spiders care for their young for a week or two after hatching.

I didn't get much. I let the Pup use my flash, as her new one won't come in until later today. I ordered it a week and a half ago, but B&H was closed all last week.

Here's the only halfway decent one I got.

flwrs-topaz-sharpen.jpg

I spotted this bumblebee sleeping on top of a flower. Unfortunately, it wasn't the best pose, and I had a lot of trouble with the hot red of the flower. Couldn't seem to get it looking right no matter what I did. I was able to take a focus stack series and get the entire bee in focus.

sleepy-topaz-denoise.jpg

Here's the Green Lynx spider and eggs I was able to spare from the mower. Too shallow a depth of field, but posted because of the back story. A group of school kids came up while I was shooting and I got distracted showing them the spider and telling them a little about them. Should have taken a focus stack series.

_DAB5677-topaz-sharpen.jpg

Clovishound

Well, wife is doing better and I was able to get away for a couple hours and see if I could get a few shots at Cypress. It was a reasonably warm day, so there were a few critters out and about.

This is probably my favorite. I had to shoot at an awkward stance and had a hard time getting focus. I was a little soft, but Topaz came to the rescue.

_DAB6080-topaz-sharpen-2.jpg

This one had some issues with some blown out highlights. A switch to B&W took care of that.

_DAB6163-topaz-sharpen-4.jpg

I like the texture of this one, although it is a little pink.

_DAB6047-topaz-sharpen.jpg

Last edited: