Macro at Cypress Gardens

Clovishound

I have posted a number of macro photos taken at a local park. It is Cypress Gardens, a county park located on the site of an old rice plantation. It consists of a large number of gardens with walking trails that surround black water swamps. Lots of plants, animals and insects in residence, or just visiting. Summer is a great time for these little guys, the only big issue is the humidity. I try and get there when they open at 9:00, and usually the humidity is near max. Even when the temp is in the low 80s, I'm soaking wet with sweat in short order. Still, it's been worth it, as I have been getting some images I'm quite happy with.

Since I have been taking a lot of pics there while learning about shooting macro, thought I'd just go ahead a start a thread about it.

Here's a few I got today:

Spotted this guy as a shadow on a blade. I gently bent the blade over to be able to get some shots of him.

_DAB3592-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

_DAB3607-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

This guy was moving pretty fast from flower to flower, but managed to stay long enough on one for me to get two shots. I'm slowly learning how to approach insects and other small critters in a manner that doesn't scare them off. Doesn't work with all of them, but I'm getting much better at not frightening them off. I would have liked to have gotten him without his head buried in the flower, but it is what it is.

_DAB3660-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

I was leaving, but still had my camera out when I spotted this little spider in the border vegetation of the parking lot. Got several shots of him. Had to change exposure to compensate for his dark color, and focusing was difficult with the wind blowing the reed around. I made a vertical version of this, but, for now, I like the landscape version better.

_DAB3686-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

Clovishound

And a few more.

I think this is my favorite of the jumping spider series. Somehow he looks curious. More likely he was worried my Nikon would eat him.

_DAB3675-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

I had another of this spiney orb weaver I liked better, but it wasn't quite sharp. I love the background. Shot with flash so background was underexposed foliage with bits of sky and light peaking through.

_DAB3575-SharpenAI-Motion-2.jpg

Did I mention they have a butterfly house? This poor fellow looks a little battered. The kids can't seem to resist trying to pick them up.

_DAB3638-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

Clovishound

Well the Pup made it out with me to the gardens this morning. Weather was really nice for this time of year.

Not sure if this is the same frog from last weekend, but he was in the same general location, and posed for us for a while.

_DAB3873-SharpenAI-Motion-2.jpg

Lots of dragonflies around, Took some patience to get them used to me. After a while they got brave enough that one actually landed on my arm. Didn't get a picture of that, but got this instead.

_DAB3841-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

Got tired of chasing insects and thought I'd try a few flowers.

_DAB3792-SharpenAI-Softness.jpg

Last edited:

Clovishound

Thanks, Woody, coming from you that means a lot.

For this shoot I used the old 105 Nikon after removing the focus ring. I can manipulate the mechanism directly this way. It's stiff and uneven, but works. I set it to the magnification I think I'll need and focus with camera distance. Even handicapped, I prefer the 105 to the 24-70 with extension tubes. Better resolution and much better working distance. That also makes things easier with the flash.

Here are a couple more from yesterday.

_DAB3853-SharpenAI-Motion-2.jpg

These rough green tree frogs are fairly common at this location. That and the anoles.

_DAB3867-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

_DAB3751-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

Last edited:

Clovishound

Usually I get them when they are green on green. They can change between green and brown, I guess orange is beyond their capability. There are lots of them around, and after taking quite a few pictures of them, I don't get all that excited about shooting them. Also, unlike insects, many of them react to the flash going off. Don't know if it's the light or the sound, or both.

Still, they can make great subjects.

Last edited:

Clovishound

Well, the weather is still fairly nice after the storm, and it's going to be hot again starting tomorrow, so I headed back over to Cypress Gardens this morning to strike while the iron is hot.

Glad I did.

My guess is this is a male mosquito. Note the feathery antennae. I may need to work on this one to try and increase the separation of subject and background.

_DAB3957-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

Like the jumping spider picture, I was on my way out to the parking lot when I spotted this anole. As mentioned before, I've got plenty of pictures of them, so I only look for something different. I couldn't resist this neat pose.

_DAB4018.jpg

Noticed these beautiful seed heads in the wildflower field near the bat house. Morning dew enhanced the effect.

_DAB3948-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

And lastly another dragonfly. This one had dew on him as well.

_DAB3919-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

Clovishound

Got out again this morning to put a few more miles on the new lens.

This guy had a web wrapped around the base of the flower and was waiting patiently for a customer.

_DAB4474-topaz-sharpen.jpg

Saw this dragonfly eating what appeared to be a damsel fly. Hey, don't eat your kin folk!

_DAB4391-topaz-sharpen.jpg

Almost passed this little fellow by. He looked just like a piece of dead leaf from a distance.

_DAB4504-topaz-sharpen.jpg

Clovishound

Went out again this morning. Ended up sleeping late, and then got rained out early. Still, I got a few.

I stacked this one. Handheld, so just took a bunch of images while moving the camera forward and back. This was a HUGE caterpillar.

caterp-topaz-sharpen-2.jpg

This guy was doing his part to rid the wildflower bed of caterpillars.

_DAB4728-topaz-sharpen-2.jpg

This same spider was on the same flower when I was there a couple days ago. Figured I may as well add to the pile of images.

_DAB4721-topaz-sharpen.jpg

Clovishound

I was actually somewhat cool this morning. No sweating rivers while trying to take pictures. Unfortunately, there weren't as many bugs out. Although they did become more active as the morning wore on. I discovered a beautiful narrow trail winding between swamps. I really enjoyed the scenery, but didn't get any useful shots. Hardly any insects, or flowers.

This poor guy was missing a leg. I guess it's not as big a deal when you have 6 and only live a couple weeks.

_DAB5274-topaz-sharpen.jpg

It was quite the day for dragonflies. Most weren't moving too fast early part of the morning.

_DAB5178-topaz-sharpen.jpg

And a sleepy frog on my way out to the parking lot.

_DAB5288-topaz-sharpen.jpg

Clovishound

ClovisPup wanted to try some macro today, so we both went to Cypress Gardens. I let her use the flash, so I had to take everything available light. After all the shooting I've done strictly with flash, it was a challenge. Didn't come home with nearly as many, but it definitely was a learning experience. There are definitely subjects that available light has it's advantages.

You don't get the nice backlighting with flash. I really like the bokeh as well as the contrast of colors.

_DAB5485-topaz-sharpen-2.jpg

This little guy surprised me by landing on the back of my hand while I was trying to get a shot of another dragonfly. Not a great picture, but interesting.

_DAB5542-topaz-sharpen-2.jpg

Thought these were interesting. Did a focus stack to get everything in focus.

flwr-topaz-sharpen-2.jpg

Not sure if I like this one that much, but it seems appropriate with Halloween coming up.

_DAB5553-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg