Low-light Image Problems

Moab Man

Thanks, Moab Man... I'll definitely check out Adorama, and the Tamron lens.

I just checked and didn't see any used for sale. Another option to consider is looking for the non stabilized versions in Tamron or Nikon. They generally go a bit cheaper, you just have to remember to keep your shutter speed up.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks for the advice, Marcel. I appreciate that you made a specific lens recommendation. "Sports Illustrated" images are WAY beyond my dreams (experience / equipment level). I'd settle for a few "Spuds Illustrated" quality pics. (Idaho potato growers quarterly mag.) I did some quick research, and am wondering about the Nikon AF FX NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G. What do you think about it? Any recommendation on where I might pursue finding a good used one? I can't afford a new one, right now. But, I could definitely keep my eye out for a used one, if you think it's a good option.

Here's an example of what I'm getting with my current lens (55-300), which doesn't seem too bad, as long as the light is VERY good. Another grandson passing. (I don't use the auto-focus for freeze action... too slow.)

The lens you have is good when there is enough light (outside, sunny or cloudy days), but for indoor sports it's far from good. So either you wait until you have the funds to get a 1.8 85mm G, or you just try with what you have and see how you can improve the results. I don't see a problem with black and white for indoor sports, so why not practice for now.

Gary Dean

nickt, great test, and great results! Confirms what I've learned here about fluorescent lighting effects on photos. It appears that the effect is more pronounced in proportion to higher shutter speed, which is my experience.

TKC_D500

I'm in facilities at a manufacturing plant and you would be amazed at the issues fluorescent light cause me! The amount of effect they have on people is so varied that it is a never ending problem. I get comletely different complaints about the color/flicker/brightness level of the exactly the same fixture from different people! I can see why they cause problems for camera sensors!