Looking to buy my first flash...

Samsonite

How do you expect me to understand technical specs if I don't understand about flashes? If I knew the basics I wouldn't ask... besides, people are advising to get 2 different flashes without giving a reason for either...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

Horoscope Fish

How do you expect me to understand technical specs if I don't understand about flashes? If I knew the basics I wouldn't ask... besides, people are advising to get 2 different flashes without giving a reason for either...
What he's suggesting, and me as well, is that you do some independent research. Start by Google'ing "flash photography" or "flash tutorial basics" or something similar and start to understand what the technical specifications mean and when it's a good idea to use flash and so forth. The information is out there, go find it! At this point, answering your questions here is only going to engender more questions on your part. Nobody expects you to understand the fine details, but we do ask that you do some of your own basic investigation so we can engage you in a conversation, not simply type up pages and pages of raw information you could dig up yourself in only a few minutes with a Google search. I won't speak for others but I know I'm a lot more likely to post if I feel like the OP has done at least a little of their own homework.

Samsonite

Well I asked on here because my understanding of a forum is a community where people in the know share their knowledge... Will do my basic research elsewhere and will just ask questions on here of they arise.

Horoscope Fish

Well I asked on here because my understanding of a forum is a community where people in the know share their knowledge... Will do my basic research elsewhere and will just ask questions on here of they arise.
I don't think anyone here is withholding information and I think we're all happy to share what we know. That being the case, no one gets paid by the keystroke and human nature being what it is, I think there's a huge difference between someone posting a question along the lines of, "I need flash for my Nikon 5100 and this is why and what I intend to use it for. This is what I need and I've narrowed it down to these two and here's why. Can you help me come to a good decision?" vs. "What's deal with using a flash?" One question shows you've taken some initiative to learn something on your own, the other seems like you're just taking advantage of the knowledge base here and the good nature of those of us who HAVE taken the time to learn this stuff. Put forth a tiny bit of your own effort and I think you'll find you'll get far better responses.

Just my two-cents.

§am

There's a lot of good advice here, but you've not really pertained as to why you want an additional flash.

Portraits? Ok yes, you may need one, you may not - when and where are these portrait shots, whats the ambient light like, do you need to add effects or reduce shadows etc.

Concerts - probably not worth paying anything for a flash for use here unless you're up close and personal to the act!

Also - are you using the onboard flash now - do you find it's not as powerful as you like, or is it limited in what you want to do?
We're all here to help, but you have to get some basic understanding of what you're actually after too.
I'd say get a SB-700 and be done with it - but then others have suggested non Nikon alternatives which are cheaper.
But is a SB-700 what you really need, could the cheaper SB-400 be more for you?
Who knows?? Only you can help us to help you by providing more in depth specifics of what you need and we can then advise accordingly :D

Phillydog1958

I use my flash units mainly for off-camera lighting. You might want to research that subject. Start with Youtube and Nikon's site. The information is out there.

Samsonite

My friend is in a band and can get me a press pass to be on / around the stage... So it would be within a few meters range...

Samsonite

I've read more over the past 2 days, the yongnuo has some very mixed reviews, a lot of people say its brilliant and great value for money, others say it stopped working within a month... I'm sure any nikon flash would be reliable and the safest option, but since this (flash photography) is something ive never done before, and want to experiment with, I'm weary of spending a lot of money on something I might not use very much... Also, there seem to be several different models of yongnuo, all seem to be significantly cheaper than the nikon ones...

carguy

Before dropping $300 for something like the SB-700, I'd buy a TTL compatible Yongnuo flash to play with.

Tap'n on the Galaxy S3

Samsonite

Thanks for your feedback, I've been watching some videos of the SB700, and most say its a brilliant Unit... One of them even suggested buying it as the main unit, them buying cheaper ones of you need additional flashes... Which actually makes quite a lot of sense... Still undecided though, will have a look at some other options and some more videos before I decide...

crashton

I've never been a fan of using flash. For me at times it is a necessary evil, no more no less. Why do you feel you need a flash for your described use? Using available light seems like it would give more pleasing images. Are the performers going to let you flash in their faces while they perform?

I would buy a Nikon flash if you must have one. Yes they cost more, but they also work well. If you buy cheap you usually end up buying gain to replace the cheap purchase. Buying once is always cheaper in the long run. It took me a long time to learn that expensive lesson.

Samsonite

I assumed that most portraits are done with artificial lighting, especially when it's indoor... Re the concert it's not going to be close enough to blind them (I hope)!

I assumed that most portraits are done with artificial lighting, especially when it's indoor... Re the concert it's not going to be close enough to blind them (I hope)!

Indoor portraits use bounce light. With the bands though they normally have stage lighting and that is much better than flash.

carguy

Thanks for your feedback, I've been watching some videos of the SB700, and most say its a brilliant Unit... One of them even suggested buying it as the main unit, them buying cheaper ones of you need additional flashes... Which actually makes quite a lot of sense... Still undecided though, will have a look at some other options and some more videos before I decide...
That is good advice if you plan to use a flash as a master to trigger slave/remote flash units.
If you plan to go with a trigger/receiver system, that is moot.

Nikon speedlight is a great unit, but comes at a cost and comes down to how you plan to use it. Good Luck!

Samsonite

Thanks... I Think I'm going for the yongnuo unit since I have no experience with flashes and just want to experiment to see if I like flash photography, i would love to get the nikon sb700, but I could think of better ways to spend the $200 difference in price between the two, such as a 10 stop ND filter, and a black rapid sports strap... Reading other reviews there are several models of yongnuo, all with varying features. What do you guys prefer rouse? Manual or automatic? Reason I'm asking is the yongnuo range is split into these two categories....

Horoscope Fish

The Yongnuo 468-II is where you want to start. It will synch with your Nikon and utiliize its iTTL metering. If you want to use the '468-II manually you can.

I also advise you spend a few dollars on a diffuser like the OmniBounce 600 which will fit the Yongnuo perfectly. As you learn to use a flash, you'll also be glad you have a decent diffuser.

Geoffc

Thanks... I Think I'm going for the yongnuo unit since I have no experience with flashes and just want to experiment to see if I like flash photography, i would love to get the nikon sb700, but I could think of better ways to spend the $200 difference in price between the two, such as a 10 stop ND filter, and a black rapid sports strap... Reading other reviews there are several models of yongnuo, all with varying features. What do you guys prefer rouse? Manual or automatic? Reason I'm asking is the yongnuo range is split into these two categories....

I'm sure the Yongnuo units are ok, but I would say this. Over the past year I've bought two SB900 units and some macro flashes because I wanted to learn about how to control light. Natural light is wonderful but beware of those who say flash is bad. They often just don't have a clue how to control it.

The point I would make is that if you buy a Nikon 700,900,910 it will be boringly predictable and do everything you ever read about in Nikon manuals, or pretty much any other as well. If you decide you want to go off camera with pocket wizard it will definitely work and they even make units compatible with Nikon for off camera ttl and power control using sekonic meters. I know this as I've done it.

Based on the above I would buy a Nikon first and look at others when you need second units or manual only flash. If you are new to flash and learning you won't know if the problem is your knowledge or incompatibility.

Samsonite

What do you refer to by incompatibility though? It is compatible with a d5100 according to their website...