Looking for another Camera Backpack

gqtuazon

Gear Head
It's been in my shopping cart for 2 days:cocksure:, but I don't think that reserves it for me:(. I'm hoping this ends my camera bag search for an 'everything' bag. Probably not. My wife just shakes her head at my pile of camera, tool, and gadget bags.

I should have kept the link to myself. :mad:

Anyway, I really think that with it's current sale price, it does provides the greatest value.

BackdoorArts

I just got an email saying that it's on backorder, but since I'm a NAPP member they are going to pull one from an overseas order and send it to me!!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Amazon.com: Tamrac 5587 Expedition 7x Photo/Laptop Backpack (Black): Camera & Photo
I bought a tramrac x3 &x 7 offebay as near as newas you can get. Great bags. The 7 has soooo much space anc a nicelot of padding for when its full with big tripod strapped on as well. Best part.. i got the x3 for £40 & the x7 for £70. Bargin

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4

That is indeed a bargain. Tamrac expedition can probably fit two pro DSLRs plus few lenses and flash.

BackdoorArts

Just curious, for any of you who ordered from B&H this weekend did your order ship? I'm more than a little annoyed that not only did my order not ship, but they're once again closed until Sunday for holiday observances. I can live without the backpack for another week, for sure, but I'd tacked some lighting/flash equipment onto the order that I was counting on this weekend. I would have hoped they got the orders out on Monday, but no dice.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Yup. Same here. My order is still pending. I was also looking forward in receiving it this weekend but another disappointment. Someone probably took extra leave.

nickt

The banner massage said that online orders would be accepted starting on the 21st at 8:15pm, but offices would remain closed and they would not resume shipping until the 29th. There was also a little "I agree to the delay" at checkout. I remember thinking to myself that I'm annoyed they are still closed for another week, but I gave them points for going out of their way to make it clear. The 'checkout is open email', however did not remind of the delay. I opted for the slow free shipping. Regular UPS gets my b&h stuff here overnight, but since I was already waiting a week, I went for the slower free stuff. I figured with a week backlog of internet orders, they probably won't ship my bag till Tuesday or Wednesday and I'll get it by Oct 4.

BackdoorArts

That's what it says now, but when the "Order System Is Down" banner was up last week I distinctly remember it saying that orders posted when it came up would ship Monday. As a NAPP member I get free UPS ground shipping, so I was really expecting it to go out. I was supposed to shoot some stock photos for a friend next weekend, but I'm going to have to push that back because I won't have the time to play with the new equipment beforehand. Not happy.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I finally had the chance to see how much it can fit and it looks like it can fit most of my equipment.

Size comparison with my Pelican case.

Domke 011 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

It can fit two bodies with 7 lenses and 1 speedlight. This is the bag that I need to fit most of my equipment. Padding is really good and it comes with a rain coat just in case. The laptop case is a nice bonus.

Domke 013 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

BackdoorArts

It's more than I need on a daily basis, and the perfect companion for a trip away. I've got a field trip with my brother on Friday if the weather holds, so I'm doing my organizing today just to see what it fits and what it doesn't. I'll take a shot like Glenn's and post it tonight or tomorrow. As for the bag, the quality is great, and I don't think you can beat the price if it's still on special.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
jake - glenn what is your impression of the domke bag? NICE TIMING GLENN. :)

Ron - This is the bag that I should have bought a long time ago. Great construction, and the pads can be reconfigured to whatever lenses you have. Pad can be remove to convert the bag into a regular backpack. Laptop compartment comes with a separate padding for extra protection.

Strongly recommended bag that can store just about everything most photographers might have in their arsenal.

Domke 014 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

My only beef with it is that it's about 1/2" too shallow to hold my 16-35mm and 3/4-1" too shallow to hold my Sigma 105mm without the back cap poking out above the side padding. It's still okay since the compartment cover is also padded, but I'd be happier if it was just a little bit deeper. It holds a body with the Sigma 150-500mm attached, which is sweet, but if I also want the 70-200mm f4 then I need to make hard decisions on what other lenses to take (i.e. 2 zooms or 3 primes?). Not complaining, mind you. If I need two lenses with that kind of reach then I'm probably not going to be looking to do landscapes. I'm also bummed that it won't hold my MeFoto Daytripper tripod standing up, but I can carry the full sized one on the outside.

In other words, it won't hold everything, but it'll hold enough for a planned trip.