Looking for advice for trip to Yellowstone

Calgary 617

Today was another one of those days. Saw the biggest grizzly I've ever seen in Alberta on the railroad tracks, the harshest backlight you can imagine and hundreds of trees between me and the bear, so I could only watch it and didn't get a shot. I later heard that the park rangers know it, it's one of the biggest grizzlies we have here in Banff NP, an old boar and always the first one out of hibernation, the think it's close to 500 lbs which is really a number here.

Then I saw another one, a young one, out after the first winter alone. It quickly ran into the shadow so I could have taken a dark bear in even darker shadow shot, but it wasn't worth it. After that I went to the osprey nest I posted pictures of, the male was sitting for over 2hrs without moving back to the nest, after these two hours I packed up my gear, was about to hike back up to the car and when I started the engine it flew a nice huge curve to the nest.

I headed home, only to see a huge bull moose in the best sunset light, deep blue water, standing still in a pond, taking a sip and the dropping water sent beautiful circle ripples through the water. Absolutely no chance to stop as they were setting up the signs for construction and police was on site, so I only saw it while passing by. To top it all off, I saw two huge bald eagles on another lake, heading for the shore, I put the pedal to the metal, turned of the highway, waited for them. The came close, only to fly huge circles against the sun, so no shot again.

But that's what makes wildlife photography so special for me. I missed tons of great opportunities today, like I'm sure I will in Yellowstone. But then there will be this one chance I get, I might nail the shot and it makes it even more valuable for me. The rest of the time I just enjoy the experience of being out and seeing things other people just dream of.