Looking for a macro flash bracket

Clovishound

I would like to get a flash bracket that will give me more positioning options when shooting macro. I would love an articulating design, but the well made ones seem to be extremely expensive for what they are at $200 and up. I found this one at B&H for $30. It doesn't look like a super solid bracket, but is cheap enough I could move on from it if I find that the concept suits my needs. Reviews say the flexible shaft is very stiff and shouldn't have an issue bending under weight of the flash. I can live with having to use a little muscle to position it where I want it.

Vello flexible macro flash mount:
1475083959_IMG_692836.jpg

Anyone have something else that works well for them?

I'm also tempted to get a cord to go with it. I have the wifi controller for my Godox, but the cord would be simple and cheap at less than $20. The down side would be a cord flopping around when shooting. I have enough issues with the camera strap getting in the way.

Clovishound

Those look interesting, but I'm sure they are going to provide rather harsh light without diffusion. Not sure how you would go about getting decent diffusion, unless you were in a studio situation.

I've been very happy with my flash for macro, but would like to be able to easily change the position of the flash from on top of the camera. Sometimes leaves and branches get in the way of the light, and sometimes I would just like the light more from the side. Heck, with something like this I could use a main flash on the camera and a fill flash to one side. I can do that now using a small tripod for the fill flash, but that is rather cumbersome in the field, and lots of subjects won't wait around for me to mess around with equipment for long.

I've even thought about a Small Rig cage that would allow me to move the flash to the right hand top corner of the camera, but doubt that would give me much difference than what I have now. I'm sure I could get some cold shoe mounts that would attach to various connection points around the cage, but it wouldn't give me the freedom the rig above would give. The Small Rig would definitely be more durable.

Fred Kingston

Those are not "flash" lights... they're constant lights that can be adjusted for brightness... better ones can adjust color temps...

Have you looked at Ring flashes???

Clovishound

I saw that they are constant lights, but being small, I'd be surprised if they don't need diffusing.

My understanding is that ring flashes are good for some things, but the lighting is too flat to give the directional look you often want for a pleasing image. Plus, they are rather pricey.

I watched a whole lot of videos on insect macro photography when I first got the bug. I know, doesn't make me an expert, and some videos will lead you down the garden path if you follow their advice. I did notice that most folks producing good images were using standard flashes. A few were using available light. I don't remember anyone using LED light in the field. Most were using their flash mounted on top of the camera, and all were using some sort of diffuser. A few were using some type of articulated bracket for the flash. And I remember at least one using two flashes.

I may find that it really doesn't make that big a difference, but it is something I would like to experiment with.

Clovishound

Sorry, at this stage of my life, squatting down to insect level, bobbing back and forth to focus with a camera in one hand, and then trying to hold a flash steady in the other just isn't in the cards. I've tried it.