Looking at the 105mm micro

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Back when I was looking to purchase the 16-35mm f/4, this is what I wrote.

I'm not sure how many members will read this thread, but I have a question on where Nikon lenses are manufactured. Since the 10-24mm DX lens wasn't nearly sharp enough for me, I am interested in upgrading from my Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 lens to the Nikon 16-35mm f/4. It will offer a slightly wider view, have a fixed aperture, VR, and is weather-sealed. Plus it's on sale right now. :)

BUT what I found out this lens is manufactured in Venezuela. :eyetwitch: For me, this is the first I've heard of any Nikon gear being made there. Does anyone know how long lenses have been manufactured there? I even called Nikon and spoke with a rep who couldn't find the answer. He only mentioned some things being made in Japan, Thailand, and Venezuela. I'm only concerned with quality/workmanship for a new lens and was under the impression Nikon switched from Japan to Taiwan for manufacturing lenses. Any idea when the change was made? Searching online isn't bringing up any info. Thanks for any help! :encouragement:

At the time, I did confirm seeing images with the 16-35mm f/4 lens made in Venezuela. That comes from this thread.

https://nikonites.com/architecture/45152-who-does-real-estate-photography-4.html#post754064

Clovishound

Well I was poking around Nikon's site today, and I saw that their refurb lenses were marked 10% off. I got excited and decided to go ahead and jump on the 105. It does not appear to be included in the sale. Perhaps the price drop from $700 to $600 (which is more than 10%, if my math is correct) is the reason, or perhaps it is because it is "archived". I would love to get an additional break on the price, but even putting it into the cart and proceeding to checkout didn't show any discount. I even put another refurb in the cart, and that discount showed up immediately.

Clovishound

Well, I went ahead and ordered the refurb this weekend. I called Nikon and inquired about why it wasn't included in the 10% off refurbished. I didn't get a real answer. Decided to just order anyway. I was looking at another refurb yesterday out of curiosity, and noticed that the new price of the refurbed 105 is now $899. Not sure what's going on with that, but I guess I ordered at the right time. It's supposed to arrive today.

Bikerbrent

Well, I went ahead and ordered the refurb this weekend. I called Nikon and inquired about why it wasn't included in the 10% off refurbished. I didn't get a real answer. Decided to just order anyway. I was looking at another refurb yesterday out of curiosity, and noticed that the new price of the refurbed 105 is now $899. Not sure what's going on with that, but I guess I ordered at the right time. It's supposed to arrive today.

Yes, you defiantly ordered it at the right time Clovishound. Enjoy your new lens!

Clovishound

Well, it came in this afternoon. I tried it out on my Z5 with the FTZ adapter. Autofocus stutters a lot when up close. Not too bad at distance, but if it's prefocused a good bit off, it just gives up. I was afraid I'd have to send it back, but decided to try it on my D3400. Worked flawlessly. I guess it doesn't like the FTZ adapter. I also noticed that many of the shots were overexposed. I suspect that this model just may not play nice with the FTZ adapter. Disappointing, but not a big issue, as it is for my daughter to use with her F mount camera. I may try it again later, after my daughter has a chance to use it some and see if perhaps I didn't have the lens or adapter fully engaged. I may also need to see if there might be an issue with this model lens not being compatible with the FTZ. That's something I really didn't check since it was for her D5600.

I really like the distance from subject this gives, and yet still enables large magnification. Depth of field is very narrow. This is to be expected. I've never had an actual macro lens before. I've played around with diopters, reversing rings and extension tubes during my film days. I was never quite satisfied with any of them.

Clovishound

I didn't actually take any pictures with the D3400. After checking it out, I repacked it and will give it to my daughter this evening. We'll check it out on the DSLRs then. We've got 3 months to put it through it's paces.

A quick search showed it should work fine with my FTZ. Like I said, might have not been fully seated, or perhaps not a good connection. If there is something wrong, hopefully Nikon will make it good.

Here's a test shot. In the narrow focus band it is very sharp.

_DAB1525.jpg

Last edited:

BF Hammer

Well, it came in this afternoon. I tried it out on my Z5 with the FTZ adapter. Autofocus stutters a lot when up close. Not too bad at distance, but if it's prefocused a good bit off, it just gives up. I was afraid I'd have to send it back, but decided to try it on my D3400. Worked flawlessly. I guess it doesn't like the FTZ adapter. I also noticed that many of the shots were overexposed. I suspect that this model just may not play nice with the FTZ adapter. Disappointing, but not a big issue, as it is for my daughter to use with her F mount camera. I may try it again later, after my daughter has a chance to use it some and see if perhaps I didn't have the lens or adapter fully engaged. I may also need to see if there might be an issue with this model lens not being compatible with the FTZ. That's something I really didn't check since it was for her D5600.

I really like the distance from subject this gives, and yet still enables large magnification. Depth of field is very narrow. This is to be expected. I've never had an actual macro lens before. I've played around with diopters, reversing rings and extension tubes during my film days. I was never quite satisfied with any of them.

Have you updated the firmware on that Z5? I had to update my Z5 right away to allow the FTZ-II to work at all. Out of the box my Z5 was 2 versions out.

Clovishound

No, I need to check on the firmware, however, I tried it out on her D5600 and it looks like it isn't stopping down. The pics I took at max aperture are fine, but as I stop down the pictures get progressively more overexposed. Looks like the camera is expecting it to stop down to F16 and making an exposure based on that, but the lens isn't actually stopping down.

Clovishound

I don't know what is going on at the Nikon Store. I got an email from them giving me instructions on how to return the defective lens. When that lens is returned, I can reorder the lens, and the CS guy will work to get me the sale price. As the price jumped to $899, I was very reluctant to do that without a guarantee that the sale price will be honored. I called back and another CS person assured me the sale price will be honored. She says after I give them a shipping number on the replacement they can process a refund for the difference.

Just to make things even more puzzling, I looked at their website this morning, and the price on this lens is back down to $699.

I really want to get this lens for my daughter, but am seriously considering ordering a used one.

My previous experience with a refurb from the Nikon Store went very well.

Clovishound

OK, I guess it's time to let everyone know how this turned out. I might be premature, as the replacement 105 hasn't come in yet.

To recap:

Ordered the 105 refurb from the Nikon Store during their recent 10% off refurb sale. They didn't honor 10% off, like the rest of the refurbs, but it was $599, $100 less than the price the day before. When I called CS they said the regular price was $899, I said, no, that was the new lens price. They don't sell new ones anymore. Anyway, I went ahead and ordered. A couple days later the price was listed as $899 on the website. Several days after that it returned to $699.

Got the lens and it was defective. I called CS they emailed me return instructions, said I would have to reorder after return, they didn't do repairs or replacement. I called back with a question about the procedure later that day as the email sounded like I might or might not get the sale price when I reordered. Different CS person told me to reorder, and give them the order # and they would issue a refund. This was a somewhat different procedure than the first CS person gave me.

After they received defective lens back, I reordered the lens. Received my refund for the difference of the sale price today. Lens should be here tomorrow.

Bottom line, they did what they said they would. So thumbs up for that.

Assuming the lens that shows up tomorrow is OK, I would be willing to deal with the Nikon Store again, but I'm not exactly a happy camper about their procedures.

Other part of the bottom line is what the heck was going on with the price swings. I'm fairly sure I saw this lens for $599 earlier in the week before ordering it, although I can't say 100% for sure. I do know it went from $699 to $599 during the sale, but was not listed as being on sale, and all other refurbs were listed as 10% off price listed on the website. After the sale it climbed to new price of $899 and then back down to $699. I was given two different procedures for getting the sale price, and the first did not sound like it would be a sure thing. And why should I have to even reorder in the first place. Why not just ship a replacement when the defective item was received?