Lightroom Update with AI Denoise Built In

Woodyg3

Contributor
The latest version of Lightroom Classic has a new noise reduction feature built in that is AI based. It's right in the detail panel. It creates a new DNG RAW file. It is a simpler set up than Topaz DeNoise, and takes less time than going to an external plug in each time you use it. I have played around with it a bit and the results are very impressive. I compared to results with Topaz and the only thing I can say for sure is that it will take a lot of processing before I come to any conclusions about which I prefer. Viewed at normal size, there is little difference in the files and both do a great job.

If you want to see a video that shows comparisons:

I think the guy is a tad Adobe biased, but it is an interesting comparison.

Any and all comments from everyone as you've had a chance to try out the new feature will be helpful and appreciated to all of us post processing obsessed folks. :)

Humorous side note, Autocorrect REALLY wanted to change denoise to Denise.

Fred Kingston

I played with it for a few minutes this morning... It'll be okay in the next two or three updates...It took a full 3 minutes to process a single image in LF classic with my M1 Mac... I like the granularity of Topaz's control... Adobe's basically has a single control... and only works on certain files at this point... I thought it was funny... I tried to Denoise a DXO PurePrime DNG file, but it said, that file format wasn't supported...but when I processed a NEF file, it returns a DNG file...:)

Clovishound

On a more serious note, I dug through some pictures I took earlier this year and found a suitable, noisy photograph. I processed it without noise reduction. Here is a heavy crop of it.

_DAB4092-2.jpg

And here is the same photo run through Topaz Denoise AI then editing in LR with copy and paste of the edits.

_DAB4092-DeNoiseAI-standard-2.jpg

And finally, the same image using LR denoise ai and identical copy and paste edits.

_DAB4092-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Initially, I liked the LR denoise better, however after a closer look, I see that the Topaz version preserved more detail. It's easier for me to see that looking at full sized images on my monitor, vs the smaller versions embedded in the forum.

I'm not sure I would have invested the money in the Topaz bundle, if the LR update had come along before the purchase. Still, I'm glad I have the 3 programs, as it enables me to improve/salvage some images that would otherwise have gone in the round file.

And yes, Fred, the processing of denoise ai in LR is VERY slow compared to Topaz.

Woodyg3

Contributor
I played with it for a few minutes this morning... It'll be okay in the next two or three updates...It took a full 3 minutes to process a single image in LF classic with my M1 Mac... I like the granularity of Topaz's control... Adobe's basically has a single control... and only works on certain files at this point... I thought it was funny... I tried to Denoise a DXO PurePrime DNG file, but it said, that file format wasn't supported...but when I processed a NEF file, it returns a DNG file...:)
Processing seems to be going much faster than that on my last generation Intel Mac. I wonder why.

I agree that the "one volume knob" style control is a tad simplistic. Also, DeNoise does such a great job of "intelligently" sharpening that LR still lags behind a little. But, I have to say that I need more time with the new feature to really figure out how to get the most out of it.

You are doubtless correct that a couple of updates down the road Adobe will have improved it to a significant degree.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Initially, I liked the LR denoise better, however after a closer look, I see that the Topaz version preserved more detail. It's easier for me to see that looking at full sized images on my monitor, vs the smaller versions embedded in the forum.

I'm not sure I would have invested the money in the Topaz bundle, if the LR update had come along before the purchase. Still, I'm glad I have the 3 programs, as it enables me to improve/salvage some images that would otherwise have gone in the round file.

And yes, Fred, the processing of denoise ai in LR is VERY slow compared to Topaz.

Yeah, the detail just isn't as good with the Lightroom Denoise as it is with Topaz. I'll be sticking with Topaz for now, I think.

Clovishound

I didn't watch the video either. My conclusions were based on running a couple images through both. From my limited experience, I think that LR denoise is very good, and has a slightly more natural look than Topaz. LR does, however, lose some detail in the process and is extremely slow. If you already have LR, I'm not sure it would be worth spending the money on Topaz for denoise alone. Time will tell whether Adobe makes enough improvements to be better than Topaz, but their first release is very good, and some folks may like the more natural look of LR vs the improved detail of Topaz.