Lightroom 6 coming out Tuesday??

Blacktop

LOL, whoops, thanks for keeping me straight Pete...... Ignore the idiot running the keyboard.

Actually I thought it was Fish that posted so I had pin like focus, yeah, thats my story.

That's because Fish is so smart that we forget everything we know when he's around. LOL

Pretzel

Pros and cons to owning or renting have been hashed out beyond necessary. How about customer service at adobe?

I have never, once, needed to reach out to a live person, TBH. Their automated support online, along with the HUGE video tutorial library they offer, answers every single question I've ever had. Other than that, the billing, functionality and the rest haven't ever prompted me to even think about contacting them.

paul04

I just opened lightroom and got a update message.

lr up.jpg

I clicked on download, and it takes me here.

Digital photography software '|' Download free Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC trial

Horoscope Fish

How about customer service at adobe?
I've dealt with them (both at a professional B2B level and on a personal level) numerous times and overall my experience has been good. Not great, but good. Hold times, if you're calling, can be long but they do offer online "Chat with an Adobe Rep" support as well. What I do is get on the phone, then log on to Chat Support and talk to whomever comes on the line first (online chat has won almost every time). How successful you are in getting resolution to your issue, I think, depends entirely on how experienced the Tech is (am I stating the obvious?) and some of them clearly know more than others.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I've dealt with them (both at a professional B2B level and on a personal level) numerous times and overall my experience has been good. Not great, but good. Hold times, if you're calling, can be long but they do offer online "Chat with an Adobe Rep" support as well. What I do is get on the phone, then log on to Chat Support and talk to whomever comes on the line first (online chat has won almost every time). How successful you are in getting resolution to your issue, I think, depends entirely on how experienced the Tech is (am I stating the obvious?) and some of them clearly know more than others.

I tried calling Adobe once and was given the option to receive a call back instead of sitting on hold (wait time was @30 minutes). According to Adobe, I wouldn't lose my place in line. Wound up not following through because I knew I'd be busy by the end of 30 minutes, and my question wasn't highly important to me.

Krs_2007

I actually had a license issue when moving to CC a while back and it resulted from having the standalone of LR installed. Talked them and they helped me get it straightened out in short order.

BackdoorArts

I just opened lightroom and got a update message.

View attachment 152124

I clicked on download, and it takes me here.

Digital photography software '|' Download free Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC trial

You and everyone else who opens LR 5. If you have CC then you should have had the update pushed to you, otherwise you can stay with what you've got or move up to CC or 6. If you're going to stay standalone then I'd wait a bit to move and see if there are upgrade deals to be had.

paul04

You and everyone else who opens LR 5. If you have CC then you should have had the update pushed to you, otherwise you can stay with what you've got or move up to CC or 6. If you're going to stay standalone then I'd wait a bit to move and see if there are upgrade deals to be had.

Yes I will just wait for a while.

Jon Rowlison

First impressions is that it seems a bit slower then 5.7.1. I have only an 8GIG machine
The new speed comes from using the GPU to process image corrections. Your primary speed is still from your CPU (and not so much tighter code) but having a faster graphics card sounds like the new recommendation this time around.

Sorry if others posted this before me... There is another page of replies I haven't read yet, but I replied to this message when I first saw it so I wouldn't forget. :)

Jon Rowlison

Adobe was rather 'clever' with their upgrade message. If you own the standalone 5.7 it tells you a new version is available. As mentioned above, clicking on their link brings you to the Lightroom CC page. You can still find and download Lightroom 6 stand-alone from their site, but you have to look around for it. It's another way they're pushing people away from the stand-alone, I guess.

Blacktop

The new speed comes from using the GPU to process image corrections. Your primary speed is still from your CPU (and not so much tighter code) but having a faster graphics card sounds like the new recommendation this time around.

Sorry if others posted this before me... There is another page of replies I haven't read yet, but I replied to this message when I first saw it so I wouldn't forget. :)

i turned off hardware acceleration in LR and it's helping a lot.

Blacktop

have a look at this, even if you only watch the 1st 5 mins if its true then the only way I see going is the $10 a month option, at the moment I have the standalone 5.7 but according to these guys if I buy the so called upgrade to LR6 there will be no updates ever, but with the CC version you get all updates for ver 6.

"The Lightroom Show" Episode #11 is Finally (finally!) Here! - Lightroom Killer Tips

Anybody else heard of this?

My understanding after watching the video is, that you will still get bug fixes and such with the stand alone, but may not get new features as they are added on to CC.

wombat

I am still halfway through the video, but you could be right, it looks like they are really pushing LR user's to go the monthly option.

IF I decide to go with monthly can I pay with PayPal?