Lens suggestions for traveling

dervari

I saw that B&H has the 18-200mm for $249 after a $50 rebate. Any opinions on this lens? This would give me a pretty good range with a single lens and I could just tote around a top loader all day instead of my sling or an extra lens case

Would I be better off getting one of the Nikon VR 55-xxx zooms and just lugging an extra lens around?

stmv

249 must be for a used lens? that is a good price, this must be for an older versionn,,

As long as it is a clean copy, not too worn, these are not built that tough, like most consumer level lens.

optically I doupt if the 55-200 would be much bettter than this lens, and yes, the 18-55 is slightly sharper in the limited range,, but it did not take me
that long to develop a squeek in my copy of a 18x55 lens, and now it seems to haunt more when focusing.

it makes an awesome travel lens, I loved it in Europe 5 years ago.

Here is a sample image using my old copy of 18x200 on a D300 camera:

Florence-Bridge-edit.jpg

Last edited:

stmv

ah,, not the Nikon, well this is truly a budget lens, No VR, which will loose half a stop or more, maybe slightly less quality focus, but a huge price difference too. it really
comes down to your budget and desire for a wide range walk around lens.

if you do get this, consider throwing a 50mm D 120 dollar lens too, for those time you really really want sharpness.

dervari

Yea, I forgot to mention Tamron.

Is there a big difference (other than a couple hundred $$$) between the Nikon VR and VR-II? I've read different things on different sites. One said that the VR lens already used the VR-II technology and the only difference is a tab to lock the lens at 18mm to prevent creep. For casual hobby shooting, would the first gen VR be ok? It's going for <$400 on eBay.

§am

If you're just going on this cruise where you might need the telephoto, then a 55-200mm might be enough and you could save some cash there.

However, long term if you're thinking of wanting to get closer to the action so to speak, use your feet, or invest a little more in the 55-300mm or 70-300mm instead.

I have the 55-200mm and there have been times I wished I had spent money on the 55-30mm instead, but immediately after I've thrown that thought out the window and just stepped up closer, or lived with the 200mm shot. I was looking at my collection of pictures yesterday, and I can honestly say, there are very few pictures that I've had to go near the 200mm end of the zoom, so glad I saved a little and never bought the 55-300mm.

I have used the older 18-200mm and it is a very nice lens, and certainly for my amateur eyes, the pics were great. The only thing to watch on it is the lens creep (which has been fixed in the new VRII version).

§am

changing and carrying lenses is crazy ..fit and forget (or use) is my motto
This is true, but if you somewhat plan your shooting then you can get away with carry 2 lenses (one on, one off)

leave the camera bag at home (makes you look a pratt anyway)
Not really - depends on your camera bag. Yes a bag with 'camera' screaming out might look a bit foolish, but then that's what the consumers buy and that's what the designers design, so not really prattish!
Plus there are some places that will not let you in if you have a camera strapped around your neck, whereas if you had a bag to stash it in, you could get in. :)

PS dump the lens cap too ..true sign of an amateur....
Nope, true sign of someone who doesn't care for their equipment as much as others may do.
I leave my cap off whilst I'm taking pics, but if I know I'm not going to take pictures for a while, there is absolutely no harm in putting the cap back on - it takes what, 1 second to take it off? Takes less time for an accidental scratch to wreck your lens (or filter if you use one) when someone brushes past you.