Lens advice

Chuck51

I'm trying to get my feet down in photography.. I have a d5100 and I'm trying to find the best lens for portraits. Can someone help me

Horoscope Fish

I'm trying to get my feet down in photography.. I have a d5100 and I'm trying to find the best lens for portraits. Can someone help me
Well first of all there is no single "best lens" for portrait work. I could suggest the Nikon 85mm f/1.8G as a good staring point though. Fast aperture, light weight, very sharp and just the right focal length for most portraiture on a DX body and it won't break the bank. Bought brand new, it's a $500 lens, give or take. Used versions can be had for a lot less.

If your budget allows, a 70-200mm f/2.8 is my go-to but that requires breaking into the Fourth Digit.

RocketCowboy

Howdy Chuck and welcome to Nikonites!

I tend to agree with Horoscope Fish on this (I do like the 85mm focal length for portraits), and would also suggest the 50mm f/1.8G for a DX sensor could also be a good choice. I like the longer length on the 85mm when I have the room to work with it, but the 50mm might give you back a little more room to work in. That said, it may overlap with a lens you already have (assuming you have the kit 18-55mm zoom). Just another thought.

Fortkentdad

I do not have any hands on experience with the 'all in one superzooms" but I did find that upgrading my kit mid range lens to the 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G was a significant step up from the 18-55 lens that came in my D5100 kit. If you decide to stick with lens swapping for the improved IQ then look at that lens.

I have looked into the convenient all in one superzooms for the convenience they offer when out on a daytrip to the fair or something like that were carrying a bag of lenses is probably not something you want to do. Slap one lens on and be done with it.

But like most things in life the more convenient come with a price. From the reviews I've read for lenses these superzooms do it all but not as well as the more specialized lenses. It is like comparing your 35mm 1.8 with the 18-55mm set at 35mm. When I got the 35mm prime it stayed on my camera most of the time. I was really impressed with the difference this little prime made over the kit lens.

When I begin to get the urge to have the convenience of a one lens does all lens I'm tempted more by third party options. Again - I'm just going by reviews and shopping, never been so tempted I pulled the trigger on one. But if you do go for one don't over look the Siggy and Tamron options. Some reviewers really like some of their offerings. I have someone trying to sell me a Siggy 18-250 and was thinking maybe - just maybe, we are going to Calgary Stampede in July and it might give me the zoom range I need. Will I be happy enough with the IQ? Hmmm that is the question.

Infusoria

Hi there!
I'm just another newbie who have just got his first DSLR (D5300) and is now looking for advice :)
Maybe someone try and help me if you aren't bored with silly question like this one.
So, I've got my D5300 kit with 18-55 AF-P VR I (not II). There's no need to tell you that this lens is rather 'slow' and its focal length range is not that good too.
I think maybe I should buy another lens, like 18-140 or something. Sometimes I shoot selfies and landscapes (so I can't use 55-200 only), sometimes I shoot portraits at 50-60mm (so I need better aperture at this focal length).
I understand that prime lenses are much faster but I don't want to switch'em (at least, for now, as I learn).
I understand that the better quality (aperture & focal length) costs more too and now I can't afford expensive lenses :(
So here's the choice I have:
1) Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR DX AF-S
2) Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC Nikon F
Can't decide, I would appreciate any help.
Thank you for all your time and attention.

Infusoria

Hi everybody!
I'm new to photography and I've just got my D5300 with 18-55 VR I (not II) kit.
My 18-55 lens seems rather slow and short to me.
Although almost 70% of my shots are selfies and, you know, 'girl standing near the tree' portraits, sometimes I may need a longer focus.
What do you think about Nikkor 18-140 VR satisfying these needs?
Or maybe Sigma/Tamron lenses will do that?
I can't afford the faster 1/2.8 or 1/4 lenses unfortunately.

RocketCowboy

Hi everybody!
Although almost 70% of my shots are selfies and, you know, 'girl standing near the tree' portraits, sometimes I may need a longer focus.

Howdy and welcome to Nikonites!

I think you'll find the 18-140mm to be a favorite here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horoscope Fish

Hi everybody!
For general bumming around and day-to-day photography Nikon's 18-140mm is a fine choice. There are better lenses but good glass get expensive fast.

Also, I'm assuming from your post you are shooting in JPG. If that's the case one thing you might want to do is adjust the Sharpening setting in the Picture Controls for your camera. This one adjustment will have a pretty big impact in the overall sharpness of your images.

To do this...

• Press the "Menu" button, drop down into the "Photo Shooting Menu" and highlight "Set Picture Control" and click right one time.
  • You will now be in the "Set Picture Control" sub-menu. High light the Picture Control you want to use, probably "Normal" or "Standard" and click right one time.
  • High light the "Sharpening" setting and click right until the setting is at +7.
  • Press the "OK" button and exit the menus.

Bikerbrent

Hi everybody!

Welcome aboard. Enjoy the ride.

I have to agree with the above posters.

Infusoria

Thank you all for your help. I'll buy 18-140 then.

Also, I'm assuming from your post you are shooting in JPG. If that's the case one thing you might want to do is adjust the Sharpening setting in the Picture Controls for your camera. This one adjustment will have a pretty big impact in the overall sharpness of your images.
Thanks again, I'll keep this in mind but I learn Lightroom so I shoot in RAW.