Jittery video when panning

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hi,

Please watch this very short clip: DSC 0001 2 - YouTube
This clearly shows that even slow and steady panning motion makes the video jittery, for me it's rather uncomfortable to watch. I used a tripod and a rubber band to pan the camera, so it's not my hands trembling. Do you know what causes it and how to avoid it?

Thanks,
greg

Hi Greg. When shooting video, you'll get better results and eliminate the "jerkiness" effect if you use a fluid video head instead of a ballhead. I use the Manfrotto 701HD fluid video head which cost less than $130 USD from BH Photo. I use it with my Gitzo tripod or most tripods with 3/8" socket.

Manfrotto 701HDV Pro Fluid Video Mini Head 701HDV B&H Photo

This is what my video rig looks like using the video head and Nikon ME-1 mic.

D800E video rig by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Or you can get a complete set with the Sacthler video head and tripod for $535.

Sachtler Ace Fluid Head with 2-Stage Aluminum Tripod & 1002

Last edited:

Philnz

Hi Greg. When shooting video, you'll get better results and eliminate the "jerkiness" effect if you use a fluid video head instead of a ballhead. I use the Manfrotto 701HD fluid video head which cost less than $130 USD from BH Photo. I use it with my Gitzo tripod or most tripods with 3/8" socket.

Manfrotto 701HDV Pro Fluid Video Mini Head 701HDV B&H Photo

This is what my video rig looks like using the video head and Nikon ME-1 mic.

D800E video rig by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Or you can get a complete set with the Sacthler video head and tripod for $535.

Sachtler Ace Fluid Head with 2-Stage Aluminum Tripod & 1002

Nice set up. Hope you take the lens cap off first.

bgrg

Thanks, maybe I will sometime in the future. For the moment I prefer to shoot handheld, I only used the tripod to confirm what I observed in my handheld shots.