I've basically confused myself. What lens mount do I have?

JyBorg

I'm trying to figure out which lens mount I have because the Metabones speedbooster accommodates Nikon G and F mounts.

All my non-kit lenses say Nikkor AF on the side. I've just been googling for the lens mount, but... it doesn't sound right because my lenses that say Nikkor AF are not autofocus lenses, they're manual.

Also, it's been a long night of researching, so maybe my brain just stopped working.

Would be grateful for clarity.

Thanks in advance,
Jay

Needa

Challenge Team
Most likely a F-mount. Which camera model would be helpful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_F-mount

"In March 2001 Nikon introduced a new lens construction, the so called G-mount lens. The very first lens with a G-mount is the AF-Nikkor 3.3-5.6/28-80 mm. In fact these lenses do have the F-mount but there is no aperture ring."

Reference: Nikkor af-lenses

Last edited:

singlerosa_RIP

From Nikon....
In an AF NIKKOR lens, the focusing is driven by the focus drive motor in the D-SLR. In an AF-S NIKKOR lens, focusing is driven by a "Silent Wave" motor in the lens instead of the focus drive motor in the camera. Because of this, AF-S lenses focus faster than standard AF-NIKKOR lenses and almost completely silently.

So, if you have a D3xxx, 5xxx body, an AF lens will not autofocus because the body does not have a drive motor. Those are found in D6xx, D7xxx, D8xx and D4.

Fred Kingston_RIP

The Metabones Speedbooster is all about the aperture. All of the Nikon lenses have an F mount... but that's not what Metabones is talking about... The G is a lens feature. It means there's NO aperture ring on the lens and the lens is mechanically actuated by the camera's internals... It's basically closed all the time, and the camera 'opens' the aperture to the selected setting when the shutter fires. The other Nikon lenses operate the same way, but they have an aperture ring that the operator can set... The Metabones accomodates both of those aperture functions.