Is USB Dock a must for Sigma 150-600C + FTZ + z6ii?

blackstar

Just found out that my Sept 2022 acquired new Sigma 150-600C has an unknown version of firmware installed because don't have a dock to check it. I contacted Sigma for an answer and got no straight answer of knowing my piece version unless using a dock to check/update (serial # won't help). Also got an answer for calibrating the lens: "There is no need to calibrate the lens for the mirrorless system". Heard that updated firmware does somewhat improve AF performance. Also, the dock can tweak some AF settings... So coming down to the question: Is the USB Dock a must for my system (z6ii + FTZ + Sigma)? If yes, a used one be good? Appreciate your input.

BF Hammer

I have the dock. I used it once. It is not really needed. I had 2 other Sigma lenses at the time to update though, and since traded one of those in.

If you check the firmware change log, I think there has only been 1 small update for Nikon F mount. Canon mount has had several others. You can reprogram the switch functions, but again it is just a thing you can do. Does not mean you should change those. And you can tune the autofocus if it is missing focus for you. My 150-600 does not have a problem with that.

Fred Kingston

Just found out that my Sept 2022 acquired new Sigma 150-600C has an unknown version of firmware installed because don't have a dock to check it. I contacted Sigma for an answer and got no straight answer of knowing my piece version unless using a dock to check/update (serial # won't help). Also got an answer for calibrating the lens: "There is no need to calibrate the lens for the mirrorless system". Heard that updated firmware does somewhat improve AF performance. Also, the dock can tweak some AF settings... So coming down to the question: Is the USB Dock a must for my system (z6ii + FTZ + Sigma)? If yes, a used one be good? Appreciate your input.
If it's your intention to "calibrate" your lenses to that camera body... Rather than spend the $48/used to $60/new for that USB dock, I think I'd opt for the $100 for Focal Pro's software that will calibrate ALL your lenses with all your cameras...

blackstar

Sigma's latest firmware update for the Nikon mount was dated 3/14/2019:

【Benefit of the update】
・It has improved the stability of the image in the viewfinder, making it easier to confirm composition, thanks to the updated control algorithm of the Optical Stabilizer.

I purchased a new one on 9/9/2022 from AMZ's seller (no way to access the seller now, asking AMZ to contact now). Just wonder if the firmware is updated. Is there a way to check or test (without the dock) at least for the OS update?

BF Hammer

Sigma's latest firmware update for the Nikon mount was dated 3/14/2019:

【Benefit of the update】
・It has improved the stability of the image in the viewfinder, making it easier to confirm composition, thanks to the updated control algorithm of the Optical Stabilizer.

I purchased a new one on 9/9/2022 from AMZ's seller (no way to access the seller now, asking AMZ to contact now). Just wonder if the firmware is updated. Is there a way to check or test (without the dock) at least for the OS update?
But your Z6 does not have an optical viewfinder like that note is referencing. And the lens would have had to be warehoused for over 2 years to not have 2019 firmware anyhow. Seem to remember many shortages of import items back at that time.

blackstar

But your Z6 does not have an optical viewfinder like that note is referencing. And the lens would have had to be warehoused for over 2 years to not have 2019 firmware anyhow. Seem to remember many shortages of import items back at that time.
Just what I thought and why I hesitated to get the dock. Thanks