Is the 85mm f/1.8G better than the D

Sambr

With all these user opinions given, it's funny how most people revert back to the cheaper option once you start factoring the price.

Greg - I think you will be happy with the 85mm f1.8G unless you have a "Need" or requirement to get the f1.4 lens. I'm sure once you start comparing the prices. I have sold all of my Nikon "D" lenses since I prefer the newer optical formula.

Well said Glenn. I am the opposite - as much as I like the "G" lens I have been building up my stock of "D" glass - there is less to go wrong with them(no motor) the "D"s are usually built much better however much more heavier. Having said that some of the G lens have better coatings to reduce flare & are much quieter & smaller than the D versions.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Well said Glenn. I am the opposite - as much as I like the "G" lens I have been building up my stock of "D" glass - there is less to go wrong with them(no motor) the "D"s are usually built much better however much more heavier. Having said that some of the G lens have better coatings to reduce flare & are much quieter & smaller than the D versions.

Sam- it's the lens flare and bad CA that made me get rid of my ex-Nikon 85mm f1.8D before. The newer one has an improvement and a bit more smoother bokeh.

Other than that, I agree about the faster or more instantaneous response of the D lenses. More like a muscle car with high torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketman122

Between the G and D, the G is sharper and has nicer bokeh. I dont ever shoot open so its not an issue for me. from 2.8 they are the same. I shoot between 2.2-4.5
I have the D and friend who I shoot weddings with has the G. build quality is meh on the G. looks cheap and feels cheap. but the biggest reason I didnt buy it and bought the AFD wasnt because of price. it was the EXTREMELY slow AF. Id rather take a hit on the IQ since I stop down most times anyway, then take a hit a huge hit on the autofocusing. its just so slow. and try it on the dance floor when its dark and youre screwed.
check this link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ataDgMph_wI

the same slow AF can be seen in the 50 1.4G and the 58 1.4G. not sure about the 50 1.8G. I just dont like nikons plastic cheap feel theyre making as of late. like theyre cutting corners. they can make a zoom that has a metal exterior but a prime like the new 35mm 1.8 out of cheap plastic for $600.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I agree about the slower AF but considering the price, it is only half bad. Sometimes you have to compromise between built, weight and price kinda like tripods, you can't have all three without paying the premium price.

rikman

So now that you have the 1.4, do you want to rid yourself of the 1.8? I could use another prime.

Wasn't planning on getting rid of it. It's about 6 months old. I might for the right price.... Have other lens on my wish list :)

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Brian

Just to add- the D lens uses the AF motor of the camera body: focus speed will depend on which body it is used on. I'm surprised how high the used 85/1.8 D series lenses are selling for considering the reasonable price of the new lens.

Nikon Autofocus Fixed Focal Length Lenses - KEH.com

should remember- check KEH for realistic prices... About $250 for the 85/1.8 D, "$175 or so" cheaper than the new model. And they have several 85/1.4 D's in. I have 4 Nikkor 85/2's. S-Mount, Contax Mount, Leica mount and F-Mount. Id' go for the 85/1.4 D.

Last edited:

rocketman122

build and weight is not an issue. I use the cheap 50 1.8d. I dont care that its build is meh. but its af speed is very fast. same with the 85 1.8D. it locks quick and I can get the shots I need on the dance floor. with the 85 1.8G theres a lot of missed shots so the fact that its sharper isnt so relevant if I cant nail the shot. like a ferrari with no gas in it. you cant see what it can do if it cant move. its the reason I sold my 85 1.4 AIS. you cant focus manually of people dancing in low light. if it had fast AF then I wouldnt hesitate for a second to get it. it is a sharp lens wide open.

Iluxa007

Oh yes. I've owned 85D, f/1.4g, sigma 1.4, canon 85L, 85 1.8 and I ended up with... 85mm f1.8G. Best value for the money.

Englischdude

i love the retro look and solid feel and construction of the D, however, I ordered one from amazon and sent it back within 1 week. the main problem for me was the green bokeh fringing. i have not a replacement yet but when ready I will definitely go for the G version which is not that much more expensive

Haoyuan Ren

Personal experience is that the G is a lot more like the 50mm 1.4G in terms of feel. There has always been a sort of crassness in terms of operation and image quality with my copy of 1.8D. I just got a 1.8G and I'll be keeping it for a while. Glad I got this now instead of the D.

Image shot 2 days ago with the G.
Screen Shot 2014-03-02 at 10.24.59 PM.jpg

Personal experience is that the G is a lot more like the 50mm 1.4G in terms of feel. There has always been a sort of crassness in terms of operation and image quality with my copy of 1.8D. I just got a 1.8G and I'll be keeping it for a while. Glad I got this now instead of the D.

Image shot 2 days ago with the G.
View attachment 75846

Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

Become a Contributing Member