Is it redundant to get the Nikon 35mm f1.8G and Nikon 85mm f1.8g for wedding and...?

ohh.justin

I currently have the Nikon 35mm f1.8g. I was planning on getting the Nikon 85mm 1.8g as well for wedding photography as well as portraits. I was wondering if it would be redundant to get both lenses?

wud

I would definitely get both. I did a few weddings and I was very happy to be able to change lenses.

Last edited by a moderator:

hulk2012

I've got 3 primes - 28,50 and 85 all 1.8g and to tell you the truth - 85 with its 40 score (for its amazing sharpness) in dxomark site are the best lens money can buy.

ShootRaw

Sold my 35mm and got the 50mm1.8g..much happier..For you thou I would look into the 28mm 1.8g...that would be more usable for a wedding for group shots then the 35mm..Sharper too.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I think this thread is going sour, not because of the answers, but because since posting his question (this was a first time poster) he hasn't replied to any of your suggestions. So, maybe he's already made up his mind, or, he's just not coming back to read your answers.

If he was reading this I'd reply that both lenses can be useful for wedding photography and they have a different use. I have both.

Bill16

I'm still hoping to get the 28,35,and 85mm lenses eventually, after hearing all the opinions here on nikonites on the quality of these lenses! :D

skene

Also... how up close and personal do you want to get with your subjects? The 35 would bring you fairly close... The 85 would give you some distance.