Is it possible to change the shutter count?

guillermo_arp

Update on this case... and its kind of freaky :dread:

The guy asked for my serial number so he can embedded back into the software. I gave him the SN but I switched a digit, as a trap of sorts: If my camera comes with the old/original serial number, then it means that he just put the old hardware back, or if it comes with the new/wrong serial number that I gave him, then he can switch SN and shutter counters numbers at will.

He sent me this picture (that's the "wrong" serial number I gave him, and the shutter counter is the one I told him my camera used to have)

32929180_1273899769379058_7720212102631129088_n.jpg

So I guess he CAN change those numbers at will using that software.

So people.. be careful when buying old/used equipment. It may not be as new as Camerashuttercount.com says it is.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Update on this case... and its kind of freaky :dread:

The guy asked for my serial number so he can embedded back into the software. I gave him the SN but I switched a digit, as a trap of sorts: If my camera comes with the old/original serial number, then it means that he just put the old hardware back, or if it comes with the new/wrong serial number that I gave him, then he can switch SN and shutter counters numbers at will.

He sent me this picture (that's the "wrong" serial number I gave him, and the shutter counter is the one I told him my camera used to have)

View attachment 287298

So I guess he CAN change those numbers at will using that software.

So people.. be careful when buying old/used equipment. It may not be as new as Camerashuttercount.com says it is.

So the embedded serial number is now one digit off from the serial number shown on the outside of the body?

Texas

and if so, why would the tech do that ?

maybe it is not visible on the body for some reason...

no, this is just getting a little too weird

aroy

As long as the information is not hard code (ROM etc), it can be changed. You only need the correct software. The shutter count has to be controlled by software as it advances with each shot. So it would be pretty easy to change.
What is more is disturbing is that a lot of crooks (and not so crooks) have access to software that will change the parameters.

The moral of the story is
. Be careful who you buy equipment from, awoid total strangers.
. When ever possible buy Refurbished equipment from Nikon authorised agencies.
. Unless you know the seller personally, a deal that is too good to be true is just that.

guillermo_arp

and if so, why would the tech do that ?

maybe it is not visible on the body for some reason...

no, this is just getting a little too weird

The serial number on the body is illegible. Maybe I'm mistaken but it's only printed on a label at the bottom of the camera and the digits started to fade way before this happened. So, when this TECH GUY got the camera, there was no serial number on the body.

Last edited:

guillermo_arp

So the embedded serial number is now one digit off from the serial number shown on the outside of the body?

The original Serial number is 9407950, I gave him a wrong one: 9409759 which is the one he set on my camera, just to be sure that he can write any random number as a SN.

guillermo_arp

Original s/n worn off ?

That is a lot of wear and tear, no wonder it was time for service.

Actually no. My camera only had a little bit north of 15,000 shots. It has been taken care properly and even some. The label where the SN is printed its a whole different matter. I noticed some time ago that the digits were fading and that the "ink" could be removed just by touching it. Not a problem with the whole label, just the print of the serial number. Some time ago I sent the camera to Nikon and that's were my problems began, maybe they cleaned it whit the wrong product that caused the ink to deteriorate. I don't know if the body has the SN somewhere else besides the label at the bottom.