Is it me or the camera???

Marine Guichard

New member
Hi everyone.
I bought this new D5100 camera a few weeks ago and since yesterday, it seems its internal light meter is defective: all the pictures that I take following its guidance are so overexposed, they are almost completely white!
I tried all the modes, even the auto mode and the camera indicates that "the subject is too dark" even in bright sunlight, it recommends me to use a 10s shutter speed with an aperture of 5.6 or something ridiculous like that.
I've tried changing the ISO etc. and still the same problem.

Being a novice in photography I'm not sure if there is anything I can do to fix it or if the camera simply faulty?

I would really appreciate your thoughts, comments and advices on that this issue.

Thanks!
 

Moab Man

Senior Member
It sounds defective based on the info you have given. I have that camera as well. 10 seconds is what I shoot in the middle of the night for star photos.
​
 
Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

It would help if you uploaded a photo. It almost sounds like you have set the Exposure Compensation to a very high number. Turn the camera on and look at the LCD screen. At the bottom you will see a square with a +/- in it and a number after it. It should be 0.00 I would bet yours is +3 or more.

Use the instructions below to upload a photo and we might be able to help you more.

Guidelines to adding a photo to your post.

1. Resize photo to 1000px on the long side. very important
2. Resolution set to 72px

These guidelines will be good for viewing on a computer but will not be good for printing. This will help safeguard your copyright.







​
 

TedG954

Senior Member
I would suggest resetting all (ALL) the controls and settings back to the factory defaults. (With "AUTO" as the default when possible.)

Then take some photos in the P Mode.

If there is still a problem, it's the camera.

​If there is no problem, then it's you.
 

Marine Guichard

New member
Thanks you all for your help, but i think the camera is faulty.
The exposure compensation is set to 0.00.
I've tried to reset it and that didn't change a thing.
Also when the lens is set to a large aperture and I look at it, the iris is as tiny as if I had set to f32.
I'm so disappointed!
 
Top