Is it feasible to use FX 70-200 2.8 VR with FTZ & FX Telecoverter

Rcurwin

I purchased a Z6ii and have using my older 70-200 2.8 VR II successfully. Later this year I am traveling to Antarctica and need a longer lens but I don't have the $ and want to travel light. I am contemplating using the 70-200 on the Z6ii with FTZ and a Telecoverter to yield 140-400 2.8.
How well do you think it will work?

TIA

Bikerbrent

Welcome aboard Rcurwin, enjoy the ride. We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

You might also want to consider introducing yourself on New Member Introductions.

Someone will be along shortly to help you out.

Fred Kingston

Mine is working fine on my Z7II... But I'm a pretty big person so it doesn't present a problem... I carry it with a fairly long shoulder strap... Smaller people may find it a bit unbalanced and/ front heavy though... The problem is, "you don't know what you don't know"... If you put one of the "newer" lenses on that camera, they're so much lighter, that you'll start to find it difficult to go back to the longer, heavier F mount lenses...:cautious:

BF Hammer

Mine is working fine on my Z7II... But I'm a pretty big person so it doesn't present a problem... I carry it with a fairly long shoulder strap... Smaller people may find it a bit unbalanced and/ front heavy though... The problem is, "you don't know what you don't know"... If you put one of the "newer" lenses on that camera, they're so much lighter, that you'll start to find it difficult to go back to the longer, heavier F mount lenses...:cautious:
I think the original question is will a 2x F-mount teleconverter function with the FTZ adapter and a 70-200MM VR II lens?

I don't have the gear to test. The closest I can get is 70-200mm f/2.8G VR (next gen older) and an old "dumb" 2x telecoverter without the electrical contacts that I inherited from my brother's stuff.

I have a local camera store and regularly take advantage of it for these sort of dilemmas. I bring my gear and test it in store.

Fred Kingston

I had a 1.7 teleconverter for my 70-200 f2.8 VR that I used a few times with my D810 body... I wasn't a fan, and recently sold it on eBay... I'm a stickler for tack sharp... and it wasn't. It was the Nikon AF-S TC-17E II Teleconverter. But, then again, I never shoot crop stuff and don't own any of it... and don't understand it...

Rcurwin

I think the original question is will a 2x F-mount teleconverter function with the FTZ adapter and a 70-200MM VR II lens?

I don't have the gear to test. The closest I can get is 70-200mm f/2.8G VR (next gen older) and an old "dumb" 2x telecoverter without the electrical contacts that I inherited from my brother's stuff.

I have a local camera store and regularly take advantage of it for these sort of dilemmas. I bring my gear and test it in store.
Never heard of anyone doing what I am looking at doing; I hope it works. I have a couple of camera stores in the my area that may let me test it our in store. Thanks for the idea.

Fred Kingston

If you're looking to put the 70-200 f2.8 VR on the Z6 with the FTZ AND the teleconverter, I did it on a Z7II with the FTZ II and a Nikon AF-S TC-17E II Teleconverter... and it all worked...

Rcurwin

If you're looking to put the 70-200 f2.8 VR on the Z6 with the FTZ AND the teleconverter, I did it on a Z7II with the FTZ II and a Nikon AF-S TC-17E II Teleconverter... and it all worked...
Great. I knew I wasn't going to be the first person to do it. Did you experience any focus or image issues?
Thank you.

Fred Kingston

No... None other than I had experienced using the combo on a D810 body... As previously stated, the largest issue was balance and weight related...