Is anyone using their AF-S 24-120 f/4 regularly with good results?

RON_RIP

Well I owned the older version 24-120 3.5 to 5.6 vr which everybody and his brother seemed to run down and i got incredible pictures with it and am sorry I ever let it go. I would dearly love to own the new f4 version and would probably couple it with a 12-24 lens to cover about all the focal lengths I ever use. Put that lens thru it's paces and i think you will be more than pleased.

10 Gauge

The few pictures I've taken with it in the house so far have blown me away to be honest. Wasn't expecting results near what I've gotten as far as sharpness goes. I can't wait to get it outdoors!

Ad B

Hi,
Do y'all turn VR off when you don't absolutely need it? I know on the Canon's that if you have IS turned on when say taking a photo of a still subject from a tripod with a slightly longer exposure that the IS would actually introduce a slight bit of vibration decreasing the overall sharpness. Same issue on the Nikon side?

Same issue, same fix.
If I'm going with the tripod, VR gets turned off just after the camera is locked into the tripod.
Yes, I turn off VR when using the camera/lens on a tripod.
With the 24-120 lens attached, I couldn't see a difference between off or on.
But with the 70-200 (tripod attached onto lens) the images were very blurry with VR still on.
My first picture I took with the 70-200 combo was with using it on my tripod... off course, VR still on... :eek:
I thought I had a very, very bad lens... :eek:
But luckily, it was good after all.

Ad B

PS I bought a Phottix tripod collar ring for my 70-200 lens.
The orginal Nikon will set me back €115,- ($ 130,-), while the Phottix version is € 50,- ($ 56,-).

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

For me the question is always, "Do I turn the VR on for this?" I've found that I'm better off using the reciproal rule and shooting without it. While it can save a shot that would require a slow shutter speed I've found that even handheld it can shave a but of sharpness off a shot that doesn't require it. ISO noise on my cameras (D750, D610) are good enough that unless I want to take absolute control of a shot I use Auto ISO in Aperture Priority and set the shutter speed to be 1 click to the "Faster" side (2 clicks on the D7100 because of greater pixel density). I was surprised at first, but the shots are consistently sharper, all other things being equal.

Blacktop

For me the question is always, "Do I turn the VR on for this?" I've found that I'm better off using the reciproal rule and shooting without it. While it can save a shot that would require a slow shutter speed I've found that even handheld it can shave a but of sharpness off a shot that doesn't require it. ISO noise on my cameras (D750, D610) are good enough that unless I want to take absolute control of a shot I use Auto ISO in Aperture Priority and set the shutter speed to be 1 click to the "Faster" side (2 clicks on the D7100 because of greater pixel density). I was surprised at first, but the shots are consistently sharper, all other things being equal.

I just tried this on my 7100. This is great. It's like shooting in Shutter priority and aperture priority at the same time. It is somewhat windy out today, and there are some birds flying around as well. Tested it for a half hour and so far I like it. Of course it would be better if I had a more capable high ISO camera then the 7100, but I think I'm going to make a user setting for Birds in flight and try it out for a while.
I've been using VR with continuous focus and I think I can now turn VR off in this mode.
Thanks Jake!

jay_dean

The problem with the 24-120 f/4 is that it's always compared to the 24-70 f/2.8. I think the problem with the 24-70 f/2.8 is that it's compared with the 24-120 f/4. They both have advantages over each other, and you end up taking your choice and paying your money. But after all's said and done, what does that actually say about the 24-120?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The problem with the 24-120 f/4 is that it's always compared to the 24-70 f/2.8. I think the problem with the 24-70 f/2.8 is that it's compared with the 24-120 f/4. They both have advantages over each other, and you end up taking your choice and paying your money. But after all's said and done, what does that actually say about the 24-120?
I think the 24-120 is a perfect walkabout lens on a FX camera. I have both the 24-70 and the 24-120 and they get to share camera time. Sharpness is about equal.

Ad B

Hi,
The last half of this topic, I don't see a comparesing with the 24-70... I don't care about that lens. It doesn't have VR and I want that on my lens.
We were just "talking" about 24-120 stuff and use with a extender.
I don't use the 24-120 because I can't or am not willing to pay that amount of money for the 24-70...
(I bought my 24-120 used for € 550,- ($ 615,-)
I use it because I love its versatility, reach, quality and VR.
I will not buy the 24-70 because of its reach and it hasn't VR.
Now I have compared enough.

Ad B

jay_dean

Hi,

The last half of this topic, I don't see a comparesing with the 24-70... I don't care about that lens. It doesn't have VR and I want that on my lens.
We were just "talking" about 24-120 stuff and use with a extender.
I don't use the 24-120 because I can't or am not willing to pay that amount of money for the 24-70...
(I bought my 24-120 used for € 550,- ($ 615,-)
I use it because I love its versatility, reach, quality and VR.
I will not buy the 24-70 because of its reach and it hasn't VR.
Now I have compared enough.

Ad B
I think you've missed my point. If the 24-120mm draws comparisons to the 'Holy Grail' 24-70mm that obviously means its a great lens. I looked at both, and i got the 24-120 f4 for similar reasons you have stated

Ad B

Oeps, sorry...
Your expression "Holy Grail 24-70" does say what I also think about this lens.
That's what I think, not know... Never had that lens... just tried it twice.

Ad B

T-Man

I have the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 24-120 f/4. I seldom use the former, and use the latter pretty frequently. I honestly cannot tell much difference in IQ between these two lenses. I'd have to agree the 24-120 has a tiny bit more off-axis CA tendency in very high contrast situations, and it does have more distortion. However, as easy as it is to apply lens profile corrections and CA removal in LR, it's almost a non-issue to me. The 24-70 has nicer build quality. The 24-120 has more reach, VR, yet is shorter and lighter.

The fact is, if there was a better all-purpose, "walk-around" FX lens with VR than the 24-120 available, I would own it. I want fixed max aperture, and f/4 is a good compromise when you consider size, price, DOF and "reasonable" speed, when you consider how much better today's cameras handle high ISO noise. Every other lens offered for Nikon bodies that comes closest to filling that role has serious drawbacks from my perspective vs the 24-120. When I'm going somewhere with my camera, I don't know ahead of time what kind of shots I'll be confronted with, don't have the luxury of taking a tripod, and I need to travel light, the 24-120 is the lens I take every time. There just isn't another viable option that has its combination of virtues and flexible focal length range. The only situation I can think of where I'd rather use the 24-70 f/2.8 is if I want shallower DOF, and most of the time I'd probably select one of my fast primes for that anyway.

Yes, I wish it was a tad sharper across all apertures. Yes, I wish it had less distortion. I wish it had the more solid construction feel of the 24-70. But if it had all of that, it would probably cost $800 more, and I can work with its limitations and still get good to excellent results. If I don't get good enough results, the problem lies with me, not the lens.

NVSteve

I'm by no means disputing what you say you're seeing, but I've never had an issue with either. Granted, I have Lens Profile Correction and Chromatic Aberration Removal applied to all my imaged import to LR, but I went out and searched my catalog for images that fall in your problem area and I've got to say that when I turned off both corrections the difference was minimal at best, and that was mostly CA on the wide end in the very corners, and then only with extreme light. With correction turned on it's gone immediately.

I understand your point about it being a $1200 lens, and if it bothers you spend the extra $700 for the trinity lens (which has yet to be updated with VR). Given that I get extra reach and any "problem" literally fixes itself on import that money is far better spent for me, and I'd lose a ton of reach.

I'd have to agree with you. At least half of all the shots I've made with my D600 have been with the 24-120. I have yet to see any problems with CA, and exactly like you mentioned, before & after lens correction is turned on in Lightroom. Vignetting I can't answer as that is automatically corrected every time and I've never cared to compare before and after shots. And I'm someone who inspects my images at 100% (usually in search of any stray dust spots).

I've been eyeballing Pentax cameras and lenses for a number of years now. After having downloaded thousands of raw samples from a variety of their lenses, I still feel they are king when it comes to CA. Really bad CA.

WayneF

The Nikon 24-120 f/4 is pretty sharp. I see slightly better sometimes with a Nikon 24-70 /f/2.8 on a tripod, but this is not a 24-70, nor was it with a tripod. This one is carry-able and walk-able.
smiley.gif
I'm a happy camper with it.

Here is a 100% crop, D800, hand held, 120mm, 1/1000 second, f/8, ISO 400.

801_0182.jpg

801_0182-b.jpg

Click it to show it enlarged more.