Is 7100 $350 better than 5300?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Since many people listed the advantages of the D7100 over the D5300, I will just say it this way: if you buy a D5300 and regret your choice, it will cost you much more than $350 to upgrade to a body that has more features. ;) Maybe that will shed some perspective on it.

aroy

Yes, it is worth much more. Here are functions that in my opinion make it so.
. AF motor, hence a lot of older lenses will AF
. Dual card slots
. Metering with non CPU lenses
. Weather sealed Magnesium Body

There are more enhancements, but ones above really are worth the difference.

zutty

The bottom line for me in choosing the D7100 over the D5300 was the feel in my hands, the clarity of the viewfinder, the ease of getting great images, and lastly, Nikon does not make a battery grip for the D5300. You must get a third party one. The only thing I'd like on the D7100 that's on the D5300 is GPS and the flip screen.

adityasoman

As everyone said..The quick access to controls is THE thing...
Also d7*** series is a step up from d5*** series...so there are going to be a lot more hidden treasures in itself...if you are keen on learning you will quickly want more control over the settings that the D7100 will give you

If you find the $350 too big...get a D7000...it will be old tech but THE controls and all will be there

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2

ptcasper

Appreciate everyone's insights from experience. I ended up getting the 7100 two day ago and it is fantastic. Much improved upgrade from the d3000 i bought 4 years ago when I first ventured into photography

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Appreciate everyone's insights from experience. I ended up getting the 7100 two day ago and it is fantastic. Much improved upgrade from the d3000 i bought 4 years ago when I first ventured into photography

Congratulations! I'll go ahead and make my speech for you to get David Busch's Guide to The D7100, which you can purchase on amazon. It goes into far more detail on features than the owners manual, and overall, it's the best teaching tool out there. I highly recommend it. The Primal Beast is one heck of a camera.

Last edited:

Pretzel

Congratulations! I'll go ahead and make my speech for you to get David Busch's Guide to The D7100, which you can purchase on amazon. It goes into far more detail on features than the owners manual, and overall, it's the best teaching tool out there. I highly recommend it. The Primal Beast is one heck of a camera.

That or Darrel Young's mastering the D7100. Invaluable resources! It's a crawl through of every feature/function, in detail, with real world suggestions for settings and the reasons behind them.

weebee

I'm going to need that book as well. I'm seeing there's a lot of features on the 7100. I'm thinking about taking a photography course in the future as well.

Horoscope Fish

That or Darrel Young's mastering the D7100. Invaluable resources! It's a crawl through of every feature/function, in detail, with real world suggestions for settings and the reasons behind them.
I agree, the Darrel Young book is outstanding. Mastering the D7100. You won't just read it, you will refer to it regularly.

There are a few D7100 books on my shelf but this is the one I recommend and refer to myself.

Last edited: