Insects with non macro lenses

mikew_RIP

Tamron 150-600

DSC_7314.jpg

paul04

Had to double check this picture to make sure it was not upside down.

Attachments

• hanging upside down.jpg
    hanging upside down.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 55

SkvLTD

I remember trying to play with diopters, but I don't think it was that great hence why I hardly did too much of it. Its not like the critters would let me closer to them if I cut the min. focal distance, but reach sure helps.

J-see

It works great with the 70-300mm. I tried to use the lens without close-up but I was too far from my subject. Often I had a hard time finding it through my lens. With the +4 I'm just below a foot which is an acceptable distance. Between 70 and 200mm it works wonderful for such a cheap investment. Between 200 and 300mm however it becomes amazingly hard to get good shots.

wev

Contributor
Very nice female Argiope aurantia. We are supposed to have them here in SoCal, but I've not run across one.

Blacktop

Very nice female Argiope aurantia

I just thought it was a spider.;)

BTW, how can you tell that it's a female?

We are supposed to have them here in SoCal, but I've not run across one

It's the first time I've seen a nice big colorful spider around here.
Funny, I was upstairs thinking about going for a walk and maybe taking a few pics, when my wife all of a sudden start yelling. SPIDER!! OMG!!
So I run downstairs, and she wants to know what we're going to do about it?
I said, I don't know what you're going to do, but I'm taking pictures.;)

Bill16

Some of these spiders make me wonder if they are spiders, or just walking sticker bushes! Lol ;)
Cool shots Pete! Way to go buddy! :D

Bill16

Size buddy! Females are bigger than males, often by a lot! She will be several times his size, and she will be the web builder I believe. Since he spends his life searching for her trying to mate with her. :)

At least I believe this is right, though I'm not really that knowledgeable on the subject. Lol :)

I just thought it was a spider.;)

It's the first time I've seen a nice big colorful spider around here.
Funny, I was upstairs thinking about going for a walk and maybe taking a few pics, when my wife all of a sudden start yelling. SPIDER!! OMG!!
So I run downstairs, and she wants to know what we're going to do about it?
I said, I don't know what you're going to do, but I'm taking pictures.;)

wev

Contributor

As @Bill16 said, female spiders are usually much larger than the male and generally more colorful. The male Argiope is a scrawny dull brown fellow with long legs to body size. She probably ate him after mating -- another trait that washed out of our gene pool, for which we should count our lucky evolutionary stars.

Last edited: