Impersonal posts

Lawrence

I don't look at peoples profiles. I just answer based on the question, or the thread it is asked in.
Do most of you go through peoples profiles before answering their questions?

John if I saw a post from you that said something like "Help - shutter keeps sticking" I would most certainly look left before even considering. Once I noticed you have a D7100 I would move on because I clearly have no knowledge about a D7100.

So in that situation it does help. Strangely enough I only look at the thread it is asked in if the profile information isn't there.

SteveH

I think the mods here do a fantastic job, given the size of the forum, and the fact that you can never please everyone. I think the "Fill out your profile" posts are applicable and useful to those who join to ask a question, but perhaps not in the introduction / new user sub-forum.

Where a first post is made to introduce yourself with a bit of background, I think a PM would be more appropriate but there are a lot of first posts along the lines of "Mah camera don't take good pics" and there is no indication of skill level, camera, lens, conditions etc... so a post asking for even the basic info is very appropriate.

One fine example from another forum I recall, someone posted that they had been away from photography for a while, having just bought a DSLR - Their previous camera was apparently, an F4. They posted asking for help as the "Flash comes on and goes off"... The forum folk assumed they had a fair bit of knowledge purely based on the "F4"... It turns out the poster thought the flash worked like a torch and should always light a room, rather than, well, flash!... Go figure!

carguy

It would be better if you could force this at sign up or have a way to force it after their first post. I see the need for it and never really put that much into the response, guess I am use to it.

I like this. VB forums can setup a message to all new users upon signup that contains details like this. Not sure if we have that setup here as it's been a while since I registered.

tommy123s

Actually though I got thus message in a pm and on my welcome thread i believe when I started I tried to fill out to then best of my knowledge since I knew little about it and didn't have my camera yet

Pretzel

For the record - This was more along the lines of the topic "feedback/suggestions" and wasn't a rant in any way. :cool: I love this place, the people, the info and the pics, and I think the moderators do a wonderful job, ESPECIALLY for their pay grade.

Hope everyone understands that it was just a thought toward bettering one of my fave online communities, and nothing more.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I remember when it happened to me although I don't remember the question I asked. What I do remember is the request for my profile info wasn't pertinent to my question so I was taken aback by it. My thought was something along the line of What the heck??? Now I just Lol when I see it being done to others because it isn't personal! ;)

Horoscope Fish

For the record - This was more along the lines of the topic "feedback/suggestions" and wasn't a rant in any way. I love this place, the people, the info and the pics, and I think the moderators do a wonderful job, ESPECIALLY for their pay grade.

Hope everyone understands that it was just a thought toward bettering one of my fave online communities, and nothing more.
We love you too, Pretzel. *gasp*choke*cough*

Further, I think you've made an excellent suggestion and I feel confident we all understand exactly where you're coming from.

Group hug?

Scott Murray

I never ever got a message like that, I guess that because I did bother and fill in my profile. Its just one of those things, you don't join a dating site and forget to put in what gender you are do you? :)

WhiteLight

I never ever got a message like that, I guess that because I did bother and fill in my profile. Its just one of those things, you don't join a dating site and forget to put in what gender you are do you? :)

I didn't get it either.
That's cos we joined before this was initiated..

My quick thought - definitely valid & required, make it mandatory to fill out profile during sign up with an option to choose 'no camera yet' or something.

weebee

How about making it important to list there location? Sometimes I see a picture I really like, but haven't a clue on where it might have been taken.

carguy

How about making it important to list there location? Sometimes I see a picture I really like, but haven't a clue on where it might have been taken.
One's location on their profile won't correlate to where the image was taken
dancingcool.gif

Last edited:

fotojack

Pretzel, no offense was taken to your post at all. Matter of fact, I, personally, appreciate you taking up this point. Tell you the truth, I'd rather not have to post that "impersonal" message to new "recruits", but there are times when it is totally necessary. I hate it when I can't answer a poster's question due to lack of information, such as camera model, lens used, location...that kind of thing. Sure, there are probably better ways to ask for more profile info, but rather than responding to each individual poster in a more personal manner, we use a standard "form letter" approach. It's certainly not meant to be rude or discouraging, as I'm sure you'd agree. However, with our work load, we just don't have the time to accommodate everyone on a personal level, much as it would be nice to do so.
Anyway, moving right along here, Don and I are going to collaborate on perhaps using different wording, so as not to offend anyone when asking for profile info.

If vBulletin has a way to get around this when first applying to Nikonites, I'm sure jdeg would implement it. You never know...it could happen. :)

everprentice

Though impersonal it didn't bother me. I took it more as a reminder. However, I look forward to any improvement on this forum.

Typed with two fingers on a bright shiny doodad.

Rick M

I wonder if it could be automatically triggered after the 5th post. You must complete the profile to continue posting? and the "no camera yet" is a good idea as an option.