Image in the mirror does not mach image in the file

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Maybe there is something that is misaligned with your camera. I have a friend that had a D500 and he was convinced that his camera had something like this. He was very meticulous about aligning things in the viewfinder and then when the shots came out, they were crooked. He then had an accidental fall with his camera and his insurances bought him a new one. Since then he says the problem stopped.

I would suggest you contact Nikon service with your shots and explain your situation. Mistakes can happen on a production line...

One way to find out would be to set your camera on a tripod, carefully check the framing in the viewfinder and then switch to LiveView to see if there is such a major difference. If there is, then contact Nikon.

Keep us informed on how you end up resolving this situation. It maybe could help others in the future.

Definitely contact Nikon like Marcel suggested. Something you can check is to look at the sensor and see if it is straight. Read through your owner's manual on how to do a sensor cleaning. That will give you the directions to raise the mirror for a peek. Usually the battery needs to be charged more than 50%; otherwise, the option to do a sensor cleaning is greyed out.

The angle of the sensor might not be the issue, but it's something you can easily check. Even if the angle is only off by a few degrees, that would make the images crooked.

mvmramos

Ah, Bingo, I think I know where your problem comes from, VR. When VR is activated, it tries to keep things at the same place to stabilize the image. But, and this is where it does complicate things, when you depress the shutter, the camera might have moved and you will get a different (slightly) image than what you were just seeing.

I get the exact same result with my 200-500 when VR is on. I depress the shutter half way to engage VR, wait for the bird to be framed properly, and when I click, the whole frame shifts and the crop changes.

Please do try with and without VR to make certain this isn't the problem before contacting Nikon. I'm pretty certain you won't get the different crop when VR is not ON.

Let us know, please.

OK, I will try that. But this never happened (not that I noticed) with my D300s or my D70 and the same lens (70-200mm f2.8 VR). Also, the problem also happens with my 17-35mm f2.8, which is not VR.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
One other thing...you're not exactly comparing apples to apples. The view from a lens on a DX body isn't the same as when it's on an FX body. See if you can try it on a different FX body. If it still does the same thing, then it isn't the body.

Chucktin

Field of view should not be an issue here. An FX lens on a DX sensor simply means the image is cropped to the center of the image circle the lens throws. So, if anything, it should show spacial distortions at edges and this seems overall distortions.
One other thing...you're not exactly comparing apples to apples. The view from a lens on a DX body isn't the same as when it's on an FX body. See if you can try it on a different FX body. If it still does the same thing, then it isn't the body.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Field of view should not be an issue here. An FX lens on a DX sensor simply means the image is cropped to the center of the image circle the lens throws. So, if anything, it should show spacial distortions at edges and this seems overall distortions.

If the image comes out crooked on a different FX body, then it isn't the lens. That was my intention. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. :eek:

Chucktin

Mvmramos. I tried to dupe your situation and didn't see the phenom. I have a Tamron G2 70-200 and shot a building with it then put on my Nikon 14-24. I expected to see obvious distortion but didn't. Sorry. Samples will be posted today.

Chucktin

(See if I can do this ... ) Here's a composite. The overall shot (with a 14-24 Zoom) and the same building (pasted over) but shot with a Tamron 70-200/2.8 WA_DSC2823.jpg. Not very pretty but no real distortion to my eye.

mvmramos

Thank you all for your interest, messages, comments and samples. I still don´t have a clear picture of what is going on, but I came to a few conclusions after reviewing the pictures and doing some additional tests today:

- Most of the problems happened with the Nikon 17-35mm f2.8. Since this is an old lens and has recently undergone service after a fall, I guess something is still messed up with it; I will do further tests to make sure;

- Still, some problems happened with the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR. However, I noticed that in all pictures taken with this lens, the exit metadata refers to a focal distance of 140mm, even when I know it was different (I tested that). Thus, since this is also an old lens, I guess it might have some problems and need a calibration as well. Further, I noticed that the 70-200 has some pincushion distortion, which is visible only when I open it in Adobe ACR and do not apply any lens profile correction. In the camera lcd screen it doesn´t show up because, as mentioned before, it is a JPEG camera corrected image.

Finally, I also checked the sensor as suggested, and it seemed normal to me. Turning "Auto distortion control" on and off in the camera doesn´t make much difference, at least with the 70-200mm. I haven´t tried yet with the 17-35mm.

Thus, it all points to be problems with the two lenses and not with the camera body. Anyway, I will try to do more tests with the 17-35 in the next few days to try to confirm this.

Best Regards and thanks again.

mvmramos

Hi Marcus,

are you doing only RAW shooting?
At your camera lcd you only see a incamera corrected JPG, no uncorrected NEF.
At your Pc, it is the uncorrected NEF (nikon's RAW picture)?
I don't use incamera correction and with my Tamron lenses, incamera correction does not work.
I use my XQD card for the NEF files and my SD card for the back-up JPG files.
I would suggest, try your camera with the lens correction on OFF.

- yes
- fact, thank you
- yes, but correcting in Adobe ACR with a lens profile doesn´t change much the situation
- doesn´t make much difference with the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR
- ok
- didn´t make much difference

Thank You Very Much and Best Regards.

Chucktin

I have an older17-35. It's a dog, will ever be a dog, nothing but a dog (sensing a trend here). So I'm not surprised by you having trubs with it.
Get it back to Nikon ASAP. Only reason I haven't done same with mine (lame excuse) - busy with other things.

Texas

Does your camera have the option for grid lines in the viewfinder ?
May be a good reference or at least another data point for what is going on.