I'm on the fence with this.

STM

Under what circumstances would you ever need 60 fps? If you are thinking about video, why not just get a video camera? If I am correct it also has an EVF, which I have always found to fall way short compared to a regular optical one.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Under what circumstances would you ever need 60 fps? If you are thinking about video, why not just get a video camera? If I am correct it also has an EVF, which I have always found to fall way short compared to a regular optical one.

Sports, Ski, Waterski, Snowboard. For these, it could be very useful since in only a fraction of a second you can see the person, then you don't. A skier coming down in deep powder snow is difficult to shoot unless you have that high speed feature.

DraganDL

It is really nice to be able to take 60 fps HD movies, but, still photos are not the area where this camera excels, judging upon many reviews. Here is one of them (I just found it, while browsing the Internet): Nikon 1 J3: Image Quality and Verdict

"-The camera only really performs well at ISO 160 and 200, with colour distortion appearing from ISO 400
-It’s also bad news when it comes to the camera’s colour reproduction. Reds appear under-saturated, although greens and blues are just about right
-Should I buy the Nikon 1 J3?
In a word, no. At its current price of over £500, the Nikon 1 J3 is up against some pretty tough competition. This includes the Olympus E-PM2, Samsung NX1100,Canon EOS M and the excellent Panasonic Lumix GF6 that's nearly £150 cheaper. Even Nikon's own Nikon 1 S1 is a better option.
-Verdict: the Nikon 1 J3 is flawed on several levels. It handles poorly, has limited features and takes deeply average photos. It’s rare for a camera to disappoint this much, but the Nikon 1 J3 is one to avoid."

Interestingly, the impression of the reviewer is very similar to the one I had long ago about V1/J1 (when I was considering a possibility of purchasing some mirrorless compact system, and finally opted for PEN. I had already had a few old AI/AIs Nikkor/Vivitar-Nikon lenses collected during the analog era, and I knew I'm gonna get me a Nikon DSLR in the foreseeable future).

Last edited:

Rick M

Wow! What a terrible review! I'll agree with not using ISO above 400, but other than that, I'm very satisfied. Of course, they are comparing against larger sensors (and body/lenses), which again defeats the purpose (for me).

DraganDL

Yeah, but it seems to me that 400 ISO limit is totally unacceptable, even in a "small sensor mirrorles system" camera category, nowadays. Observe this casual snap for example (E-PL3, kit-lens 14-42mm, handheld), taken at no less than 8000 ISO (and again: eight thousand), in a room lit only by 2x100W wolfram bulbs:
kaleo bayich2.jpg

Last edited:

wornish

Yeah, but it seems to me that 400 ISO limit is totally unacceptable, even in a "small sensor mirrorles system" camera category, nowadays. Observe this casual snap for example (E-PL3, kit-lens 14-42mm, handheld), taken at no less than 8000 ISO (and again: eight thousand), in a room lit only by 2x100W wolfram bulbs:

Sorry but your example at 8000 iso is not that impressive IMHO.
The 400 ISO limit is just not true there are lots of great photos on here and other sites at way higher ISO. Modern PP software can fix most issues even when you get up to 2000 ISO.
You can always use flash indoors.

I am very pleased with my V1.

Seems to me you have already made your mind up that the N1 is not for you.

crashton

The photo I posted earlier in this thread of the vintage race cars was shot with my V1 at 1600 iso. Not as good as my D7000 could do, but quite acceptable to me. I have no problem with 1" sensor noise. To me it looks kind of film like & any excessive noise can be taken care of in PP.

This one is ISO 1100

Rick M

High ISO test:

Here's a couple quick snapshots, using the 18.5 mm 1.8 (50mm view), which I highly recommend if you get any Nikon 1. These are both shot at ISO 1600 (4x the recommended dosage :)), ambient light and no flash. RAW, no sharpening or noise reduction applied!

f2.8

DSC_0317_9793.jpg

f1.8

DSC_0319_9795.jpg

Last edited:

Phillydog1958

Isn't Nikon dropping the N1 line of cameras?

They're considering selling the Nikon 1 in Asia, only. Sales of the Nikon 1 were so much higher in Asia, when compared to the rest of the world. For some reason, the Asian market loves the little system. I really don't think they're going to drop the line, because they just launched the Nikon 1 AW1, which is a waterproofed system. I strongly feel that the AW1 might revived the Nikon 1 line in other non-Asian markets. It could appeal to outdoor types.

Last edited:

Phillydog1958

When you add an F-mount adapter to V1 and you mount any DX lens on it, you "defeat the purpose" just as well, size-wise. On the other hand, the picture above could have been made with any good point'nshoot as well (Olympus XZ1/2, any Canon G series etc.) so it also defeats the purpose of having an additional, yet smaller interchangeable camera with you... On another note: recently I had the opportunity to use a Canon G15 for a while (borrowed from the friend of mine) and I was astonished with how this little beast performs under low light, and how versatile it is... I bet it beats the V1 in terms of level of noise at high ISO (higher than 3200)....
This shot had been taken at ISO 6400, handheld, Canon G15, JPG straight out of camera, noise reduction set to "low":

View attachment 70466
Don't get me wrong: I am VERY fond of Nikon cameras and would not change their DSLR line for any other brand. But I am not blind either... The CX thingy is the greatest blunder made by Nikon, I'm afraid. The second one in line being P7000/7100 - the clumsy attempt to copy Canon's "G" series...

I purchased the Nikon 1 system as a travel camera. So, I agree with your point that adding the FT1 adapter does take from it's portability and small size. That's exactly what prevented me from purchasing the FT1. Eventually, I gave in and bought the FT1. Why the change of heart? Because of the 2.7 X crop factor of the Nikon 1's sensor. Add a long DX/FX lens to it, and you will be amazed at the additional distance that the Nikon 1 allows for. If I'm wanting to keep it LIGHT, I don't pack the FT1 or any of my FX lenses with my Nikon 1. But, sometimes you want that added length and it's nice to have that as an option.

Last edited:

wornish

The reviewer that said ISO > 400 is not acceptable is simply wrong IMHO. Thought I would push my V1 to its limit to see what happens. This was taken just now at ISO 3200 in a room with two 60W lights.
Its not noise free but still not disastrous and way better than any P&S could do.

Don't believe all you read

.Hi ISO.jpg

weebee

I believe I'm going to hold off until the V3's come down in price then buy one of those. Thanks all for the advice.

randyspann

The Nikon 1 system is the ultimate carry everywhere camera for me. Even on the motorcycle. Take a D800 with a prime and a zoom on the bike ... I don't think so!

orrzee

I was tossing up whether to go Cx nikon or Olympus for my everyday walk around I use a Canon 600d for my DSLR ( I Know blasphemy ) I have No brand prejudice But The 1v1 I bought has been so much better that I Had hoped. And it was Cheap So I Can not recommend it enough