I'm afraid I may have already given in. Nikon 105mm micro Z

Clovishound

I've been sliding down the macro slope rapidly lately, and the universe is conspiring against me. I feel like I've spent too much money already this year, and yet I am lusting badly after the Z mount 105mm by Nikon. It is supposed to be an awesome lens. I went out this weekend and took some macro photos, and had a really good time despite the heat. I got over a dozen keepers, and feel really good about my progress in this niche in a short time. I feel a little constrained with the extension tubes on my 24-70 lens. It focuses so close that the lens shades the flash for many of my shots, and I'm just having a lot of trouble getting into the foliage at the short focusing distance. I'm sure the resolution isn't close to what the new macro lens provides.

It doesn't help that I noticed they have it on sale again for $100 off. I have the money in my account, but the practical side of me says it's too much to spend right now. They are too new for used to be a viable option. I have also come to the conclusion, that I don't want to "settle" for a lens I may not be fully happy with. While I do most all my macro in manual focus, I would like the ability to do camera controlled focus stacking, which requires AF.

I know, first world problems.

BF Hammer

Clovis, I recently bought a 105mm Z-mount used from KEH. They don't show up often, but they appear from time to time, That said, the $100 discount on the new lenses makes it only $50-$70 or so above the going rate for a good condition used. Don't feel too bad about jumping on the sale while it is here.

Let's be fair here, this is also a classic portrait lens. So it is not just a 1-trick-pony. You can still use the extension tubes you have with the 105mm and really get some magnification beyond 1:1. These are all tricks I have done with my F-mount Tamron 90mm macro lens for years.

That all said, I don't notice too much difference between shooting D750 and 90mm Tamron versus Z5 and Nikkor 105mm Z. There is a longer focal length so I back off from my subject a bit normally. But it's not much. Sharpness is great and distortion is minimal. Nearly equal bokeh too. But I like working with the Z5 now for photographing my wristwatch collection because the Tamron is incompatible with the FTZ adapter unless I send it in for servicing.

BF Hammer

Clovis, while you have a couple of days left to resist...

Z MC105mm f/2.8 by itself
Citizen Blue Angels 2023-08-27A.jpg

And here I added both of the Meilke Z extension tubes on the MC105mm for the Susan B Anthony dollar. At about the minimum focus distance here. No crop, full image.
Susan B Dollar01.jpg

Dawg Pics

I love macro. I have been wanting a decent macro lens for a while now. Just add it to the list of things I would like to have.

Clovishound

OK, after mulling it over for a couple weeks, I went ahead and ordered it from B&H. They had a deal that included a UV filter, big woo, and free overnight shipping, so I pulled the trigger today. I'll report and post some pics taken with it after it arrives.

BF Hammer

I think your angst about buying will fade away after you finally start shooting with the lens. No more extension tubes or FTZ adapter to fool with either.

Clovishound

Well, it showed up this morning about 15 minutes before I had to leave for a lab appointment. That was some quick shipping from NJ to SC in less than 24 hrs. Mounted it up to the the trusty Z5 and went out and played with it for about 5 minutes. Everything is smooth and silent. I set it to only seek out to .5 meter for AF and it didn't hunt, although it failed to capture if I was moving the camera too much. AF was quick and silent. MF was slick. I really like the small control ring near the mount. It comes preset to aperture control, which is where I will likely leave it. Debating on whether or not to brave the heat and make a quick trip over to Cypress Gardens and take some pictures. It's supposed to rain tomorrow.

I will have to wait to decide about sharpness, but initial impression is that this is a big step up from the F mount 105 micro Nikon it is replacing, although I suspect that one was defective when I got it. AF hunted a lot, and was somewhat noisy. I thought that it was just normal for that lens, especially at close distances. I use MF predominantly at macro distances, but the old lens failed to focus either manually or in autofocus after a little over a year of light use.

Clovishound

OK, I braved the heat, poisonous snakes, and large apex predator reptiles. I was quite pleased with the way the lens handled. I especially liked the control ring mentioned earlier. I didn't try any with AF.

Early results seem like good resolution. Not sure it is head and shoulders above the old F mount macro, but pretty good. Here's the first few I edited.

_DAB4355-topaz-sharpen.jpg

_DAB4311-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg