If you bought a D600 in the last month....

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Think about this: a refurb from a reputable dealer may be a relatively new body that had the shutter replaced to fix the oil spot issue. I would consider a refurb from Adorama, B&H, 42nd St., etc. if the price is right.

I'm not sure I'd want a refurbished D600 either. After having my shutter replaced, the oil problem still exists. I'd rather buy a new one along with an extended warranty which would allow a longer amount of time to try and get the situation resolved.

PapaST

I'm not sure I'd want a refurbished D600 either. After having my shutter replaced, the oil problem still exists. I'd rather buy a new one along with an extended warranty which would allow a longer amount of time to try and get the situation resolved.

I think the problem with that is Nikon already has a solution in the form of a D610. IMO Nikon will keep outfitting the D600 with the same shutter and hope for the best. To me, if they planned on doing a true fix for the D600 then they wouldn't release a D610.

What would be nice is if Nikon offered some type of replacement program for D600 users. Like send in your D600 plus $500 and get a shiney new D610. That would be great but I seriously doubt that would happen.

BackdoorArts

Given that I personally had one warranty repair come back and immediately have the issue again, and I personally know someone here who is about to send theirs back for a 3rd time, while others have had hardly a spec of evidence of the problem (pun slightly intended), one would have to assume that this is a sporadic problem that they just have not been able to wrap their arms around. So, it would seem that any D600 manufactured at any point may or may not exhibit the issue. It's an absolute crapshoot as to whether one out of the box will have the issue.

If I needed to summarize the problem, whoever is manufacturing the shutter cannot do so consistently at the required quality levels, and there's no fixing the problem. Given the upgraded frame rate on the D610 one has to assume you're getting a D600 with a completely revised shutter assembly and not much more (other than white balance software tweaks).