I Need Help Removing "Racoon Eyes"

Horoscope Fish

GET A FLASH!
Gah! Already HAS flash... Must master same.

All kidding aside, I don't make New Year's Resolutions but I have made a commitment to myself to REALLY learn how to use on-camera flash in the coming months and that shot is a perfect example of why. I see this shot in my head without the shadow and... and... well then tears start because I know fill flash would have saved the day!

Horoscope Fish

yep....that is it. You can make whatever adjustments you want and then use the opacity slider to bring back some of the original. May not work in all situations but you'd be surprised at how it works.
Thank you for the tip... I'm going to play around with this right now.

RocketCowboy

All kidding aside, I don't make New Year's Resolutions but I have made a commitment to myself to REALLY learn how to use on-camera flash in the coming months and that shot is a perfect example of why. I see this shot in my head without the shadow and... and... well then tears start because I know fill flash would have saved the day!

Or even a reflector to get some light back into those shadows.

Lighting is one of my projects for this year too, so I'm just repeating what I've heard without the practical experience (yet) to back that up. :)

Horoscope Fish

yep....that is it. You can make whatever adjustments you want and then use the opacity slider to bring back some of the original. May not work in all situations but you'd be surprised at how it works.
This is working really, REALLY well. Like, wow!

With a RAW file to work we're in the realm of Pure Awesome with this... JPG's not so much but that's to be expected.

Pretzel

EXACTLY why I started watching the OneLight videos... I've gotta learn MOAR FLASHEZ!!

I've learned to compensate a lot with fill flash, but still have a lot to learn. Especially in creating​ the shadows I want.

Felisek

Since you have access to NIK tools, you could try Viveza. You place a control point in the dark area, change the size of the circle accordingly and then adjust brightness, contrast, saturation and structure. Once you are done with one eye, press Alt and click at the control point to copy it with all the settings. Move the copy to the other eye.

It is very intuitive and can give you good results.

Horoscope Fish

Since you have access to NIK tools, you could try Viveza. You place a control point in the dark area, change the size of the circle accordingly and then adjust brightness, contrast, saturation and structure. Once you are done with one eye, press Alt and click at the control point to copy it with all the settings. Move the copy to the other eye.

It is very intuitive and can give you good results.
Excellent suggestion! Viveza has quickly become my go-to editing tool for just about everything.