How to fix black screen

Ebrose

I need help! I am not sure if this is something I can fix myself or if I have to send it in..... I am really hoping to not have to spend a couple hundred!
My D3100 will turn on, auto focus, flash, and make all the sounds it normally does, but after taking the picture the LCD screen only shows a black image. I know the LCD screen is fine cause it will show all the information on the bottom and such. It will also allow me to see images that I took before this black screen thing came up!
Please help!! I am a beginner and normally only have the camera in the Auto mode.

LensWork

If the LCD will show the menu items and older images, you may have a more serious problem than the LCD. It sounds like your sensor may be the issue. Or it just could be an issue of severe underexposure. Have you tried to take a picture and download it to your computer since this issue started?

Horoscope Fish

I would suggest you try doing a factory reset which, on the '3100, you have to do in two stages: Once in the Shooting menu and once in the Setup menu...

Start by pressing 'Menu', select the Shooting Menu and then scroll through the options until 'Reset Shooting Options' is highlighted, press OK, highlight 'Yes' and press OK again. That's step one.

Step two is repeating the above steps in the Setup menu.

Ebrose

Would I be better off trying to get it fixed locally or sending it to Nikon? Best Buy pretty much said that I would be better off just getting a new camera and another camera store in the Seattle area said it would cost $295 for them to just open the camera up and check it out. It would cost more to repair parts.
Is there anyway to check the sensor without taking it in?
I did try a different lens same thing, tried a different SD card, all same thing!

LensWork

Sounds like the sensor or the shutter has gone bad. In either case, if the camera is out of warranty, it is probably not cost effective to repair.

WayneF

I
My D3100 will turn on, auto focus, flash, and make all the sounds it normally does, but after taking the picture the LCD screen only shows a black image. I know the LCD screen is fine cause it will show all the information on the bottom and such. It will also allow me to see images that I took before this black screen thing came up!

If some stuff shows on the LCD (like the Menu or Info or previous images), then there's nothing wrong with the LCD.

See the D3100 manual, page 130, Image Review. If you turn that Off, then the immediately taken image will not be displayed.

If any issue with that page, specifically, I am looking at the D3100 Reference Manual (instead of the User Guide that might have shipped with it?) It is available at https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16910

One beauty of the PDF version is that it is searchable.

Ebrose

Awesome. Is this a common problem with the D3100? Say I was to just get another body... would I run the risk of having issues with a used one?

nikonpup

i had that problem with a 5100 - i removed the lens and did a mirror lockup for cleaning (make sure you have a fully charged battery) that cleared the problem for me.

Hjones

I have a problem with my D3100. It will take pictures with the top of the Pictures blank when previewing the Pictures.
And when you import onto the pc too its still displays the thick dark bar at the top of the pictures.
How can I solve this challenge with my Nikon D3100?
Thank you

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I have a problem with my D3100. It will take pictures with the top of the Pictures blank when previewing the Pictures.
And when you import onto the pc too its still displays the thick dark bar at the top of the pictures.
How can I solve this challenge with my Nikon D3100?
Thank you
Welcome!

I had that problem with my D5100 years ago. Mine was still under warranty so It went in for a repair.

There may be some suggestions in this thread that you might find helpful if you're good at fixing things.
https://nikonites.com/forum/threads/did-my-d5100-run-out-of-film.14326/

Please feel free to introduce yourself here - https://nikonites.com/forum/forums/new-member-introductions.35/post-thread

Last edited:

Fred Kingston

If there's a black bar at the top of your image AND you're using flash, you're using the wrong Flash Sync speed for that camera.
If there are black bars at the top and bottom of your screen, the aspect ratio is set to 16:9... Change the camera's aspect ratio.

If the above conditions are not true, then your shutter box is failing... be sure to get an "estimate" first before fixing because the shutter box on that camera costs more than the camera...

Leoismeo

My Nikon coolpix s4 I recently ordered has a similar issue. The display works but the actual image shown on the screen is all black. I can still take a photo with the flash and noise it’s just the screen not displaying anything besides the symbols letting me know what mode I’m in and such. What can I do to fix it?

Dawg Pics

My Nikon coolpix s4 I recently ordered has a similar issue. The display works but the actual image shown on the screen is all black. I can still take a photo with the flash and noise it’s just the screen not displaying anything besides the symbols letting me know what mode I’m in and such. What can I do to fix it?
Are you able to view the images on a computer?

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome!

Did it come with a warranty? I would return it.