How the heck...

BackdoorArts

If you have Lightroom, import a portrait image and do nothing other than move the Clarity slider. Negative clarity will soften everything and remove or at least hide a lot of skin irregularities. There are "Glow" filters in some software programs that do the same, but this is the basic crux of what's being done.

Like this...

The Clarity adjustment is likely on top of skin and face adjustments using other tools at the photographer's disposal, and is meant to accentuate those while also softening their surroundings and help keep the people as the focal point.

Last edited:

Rhealite

Sweet thanks! Is seems that everyone wants this "dreamy" look these days. Of course there is a fine line between dreamy and creepy. :)

WayneF

These mostly all use fill flash (subject is in shade or backlighted, yet exposed as much as the background). The lady is very proficient with the flash... not so much of it as to be directly noticeable as flash, yet excellent results.

Wide aperture is what puts the background out of focus.

I think the hazy look must be post processing.

Browncoat

You guys are digging too deep. These effects can all be achieved by pressing one button.

All of those photos are either Photoshop or Lightroom filters and effects that are distributed for free or sold over the internet. These are the trendy effects used by Facebook Fauxtographers. I won't do them justice by linking to them, but some creative Google searches will turn all of them up.

I could call out some of those filters/effects by their cutsie advertised names just by comparing them to the photos.

BackdoorArts

You guys are digging too deep. These effects can all be achieved by pressing one button.

All of those photos are either Photoshop or Lightroom filters and effects that are distributed for free or sold over the internet. These are the trendy effects used by Facebook Fauxtographers. I won't do them justice by linking to them, but some creative Google searches will turn all of them up.

I could call out some of those filters/effects by their cutsie advertised names just by comparing them to the photos.

Well, yeah. But it helps to know how those "trendy effects" are done. I'm one of those guys who believes that if you can't understand how a filter does what it does then you shouldn't be using it. I download a ton of free LR presets only so I can dissect them and then delete them.

rocketman122

I think mainly fast glass and a heavy hand in PP. I only looked at her seniors pictures.

there is no evidence of flash used. Im certain they used a diffusing material overhead to soften the light. no catch light of a flash and you can clearly see the line on the upper part of their eyes.

but way too much processing for my taste. less than others I saw who use horrible collor cast filters like instagram type. I was using those cross process c41-e6 filters when I was shooting film back in 2000. enough already. its played out. be original and not a follower. good pictures dont need cross process/retro/vintage filters. people use them because they lack real talent.

im surprised she has no black and whites though. but nice pictures on the whole.

Last edited:

rocketman122

anyone want those crappy tacky retro vintage instagram junk filters, look no further than here

Welcome to optikVerve Labs - Home of virtualPhotographer

add tactless filters to your hearts content!

now you can be a "ME TOO!" photographer. I used optikverve from years back. no more though. today I use the built in BW filter in acdsee pro 6 and I can add a (very) light sepia on certain pictures and thats it. no crap filters for me.

rocketman122

looked again and she used no flash at all. it was a diffusion reflector overhead to soften the light. probably on a boom or used an assistant. there is no shadow under the nose at all. fill flash would not fill in the high contrast shadows even at 1:1 power.and not only that but the flash would show hot spots from sweat. and everyone has hot spots. without a doubt an overhead diffuser. you can see it in the eyes as well.

another thing I can think of is shooting on a cloudy day. but even on a cloudy day there will be a soft light shadow under the nose. and itd be too much work to PP all of it around the face. even the clothes have no harsh shadows.

singlerosa_RIP

As previously stated, there are a variety of available add-on packages for Lightroom and Photoshop that contain different filters/layers to delivery different "looks" for a photo. Names like Inspire Brilliant Base, Paint on DOF, Bittersweet, Beaming, Modern Matte Twist, Loving Pink, Magical Matte, Multi Matte Twist, Precision Sharp. Don't have any experience with them as I try to muddle through the adjustments all by myself.